Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi There ,

Is anyone looking at doing a Disability Studies MA.

I'm currently studying mine part time and wanted to see who else is either interested in this area or already on a course? Maybe you are looking at a SEN MA course and wanting to know how this is different from a Disability Studies course?

Would love to have a good discussion about some of the course content and share ideas and tips.

Ruth
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi There ,

Is anyone looking at doing a Disability Studies MA.

I'm currently studying mine part time and wanted to see who else is either interested in this area or already on a course? Maybe you are looking at a SEN MA course and wanting to know how this is different from a Disability Studies course?

Would love to have a good discussion about some of the course content and share ideas and tips.

Ruth
04MR17
w8d72
Badges: 10
Report 4 years ago
What's your favourite thing about the course?
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by w8d72)
What's your favourite thing about the course?
Hi w8d72

We have just recently been working on different theories in Disability Studies and I particularly enjoyed the week focusing on Normalcy. I'm a huge fan of Lennard Davis' work on Normalcy and I am passionate about challenging the structures of normalcy and the representations of the disabled body as a deviant from such 'norms'.

Do you study Disability Studies? If so what are you particularly interested in?

Ruth
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi w8d72

We have just recently been working on different theories in Disability Studies and I particularly enjoyed the week focusing on Normalcy. I'm a huge fan of Lennard Davis' work on Normalcy and I am passionate about challenging the structures of normalcy and the representations of the disabled body as a deviant from such 'norms'.

Do you study Disability Studies? If so what are you particularly interested in?

Ruth
Ruth, what do you hope to do with your MA?

I have, previously, many years of experience working in SEN(D) and am always interested to see what people hope to add to the industry
Rep:
(Original post by ByronicHero)

I have, previously, many years of experience working in SEN(D) and am always interested to see what people hope to add to the industry
Hi ByronicHero

Well I would absolutely love to become a Lecturer in Disability Studies or a key academic in this field. However, my undergraduate dissertation focused on the representations of disabled bodies in contemporary sculpture so disability in arts is a possible career path for me. There are some disability arts organisations in Liverpool that I would love/hope to get involved with.

What type of role are you in?
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi ByronicHero

Well I would absolutely love to become a Lecturer in Disability Studies or a key academic in this field. However, my undergraduate dissertation focused on the representations of disabled bodies in contemporary sculpture so disability in arts is a possible career path for me. There are some disability arts organisations in Liverpool that I would love/hope to get involved with.

What type of role are you in?
Do you not think that you would surrender part of your development by pursuing an academic career absent experience? I don't want to discourage you, but have you not considered working with people who are differently able in a more meaningful way? I know little about disabled sculpture beyond Alison Lapper and such, but just asking.
Rep:
Do you not think that you would surrender part of your development by pursuing an academic career absent experience? I don't want to discourage you, but have you not considered working with people who are differently able in a more meaningful way? I know little about disabled sculpture beyond Alison Lapper and such, but just asking.
Yes absolutely, I have worked with children labelled with SEN in a variety of schools and also with adults labelled with learning difficulties. It was from this experience that I decided to study in this field. The Disability arts organisations would also work alongside young people providing opportunities and access to art and training programmes.

An academic career, or to become a lecturer would take a long time to achieve. A PHD could take up to 5 years, In this time I would still like to work alongside young people so is certainly an end goal to consider. I definitely wouldn't disregard the academic field as I do believe it is essential in challenging the disabling structures of a wider society.

What career are you in and how did you decide? I think there are a lot of career paths to consider and I think there is a general expectation to get into teaching?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Lovely discussions here.

Couldn't help but notice the irony.:mmm:
Rep:
We have a great video from our Disability and Education department at Hope covering both the Undergraduate and Postgraduate study. Thought it would be great to share with you all in case anyone is interested in studying a Disability Studies course. Although this does focus on the course specifically at Hope, you may be interested in the Center or Cultural Disability Studies which hold seminars, conferences and symposiums for all who are interested in this field of study regardless of the university you wish to study this.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads