The Student Room Group

Interviewing twice at the same company a year apart

I think that I have (unintentionally) got an invite a company for interview that interviewed at last year.

A recruitment agency contacted me, and so I think that it is same firm (but unconfirmed).

On that occasion I wasn't successful because I made it clear to them that I was not that much of an expert in something they advertised, but I fit the role for the other half.

I don't want the awkwardness though. Should I go for a 2nd interview at the firm or not?
Reply 1
Original post by royal1990
I think that I have (unintentionally) got an invite a company for interview that interviewed at last year.

A recruitment agency contacted me, and so I think that it is same firm (but unconfirmed).

On that occasion I wasn't successful because I made it clear to them that I was not that much of an expert in something they advertised, but I fit the role for the other half.

I don't want the awkwardness though. Should I go for a 2nd interview at the firm or not?

Is it a different job spec? If so, go for it.

Do you fit the role more completely now? Are you speculating about why you were not successful or did they give you feedback? How did the last interview go generally?
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Is it a different job spec? If so, go for it.

It sounds like the same spec, but agency hasn't confirmed the company yet.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Do you fit the role more completely now? Are you speculating about why you were not successful or did they give you feedback? How did the last interview go generally?

I feel a bit more confident (awkwardness aside in this situation), however, in terms of my fit, I don't know. I have done things since then, volunteered a bit more.

However, I seem to recall last time they wanted someone with video skills that were keen, and I remember last time I sort of slipped up in the test they gave me. I said that it wasn't really my forte, and showed a slightly less lean towards video.

I hit all the right points in terms of graphics design, but I scored lower on video - therefore I didn't make it to 2nd interview.

I am speculating yes, as I don't want to go in and be like "Hi its me, and nothing's really changed". I haven't done any videography work since, but I am in the process of doing some with a charity. That doesn't start until Feb.

I don't think they gave me feedback, it was a generic, we found someone a better fit to our criteria.

The interview went okay I think. Was very laid back - with two young interviewees.
Reply 5
I got interviewed by the same person at Dominos twice in 2 years and he rejected me twice. Thats embarrassment.
It sounds like the same spec, but agency hasn't confirmed the company yet.

The agent can say if its the same or not.

If you think you are netter suited, then go for it imo.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
The agent can say if its the same or not.

If you think you are netter suited, then go for it imo.

I'm more confident, and have a better understanding in my industry, but I just don't have a lot of video based stuff which they may ask to see.

I think you can go into this two ways. One is be honest, say you interviewed before and this is what I have done/plan to do since to make me stronger. Or not mention anything but make sure you cover what you didn't and play yourself up rather than down. It may have been a confidence thing that put them off the last time as companies will train people if they like them. I'd go the honesty path and definitely if you're interviewed by the same people.
Reply 9
Original post by alleycat393
I think you can go into this two ways. One is be honest, say you interviewed before and this is what I have done/plan to do since to make me stronger. Or not mention anything but make sure you cover what you didn't and play yourself up rather than down. It may have been a confidence thing that put them off the last time as companies will train people if they like them. I'd go the honesty path and definitely if you're interviewed by the same people.

So tell the recruiter straight up, and say this is what I am planning to do [or have done since]?
So tell the recruiter straight up, and say this is what I am planning to do [or have done since]?

Yup
I'm more confident, and have a better understanding in my industry, but I just don't have a lot of video based stuff which they may ask to see.

I have to wonder why you're interviewing at the same company without addressing the issue you saw last time around? I have no idea what industry you're in but maybe a weakness you identify in yourself is something you can aim to resolve?

But to respond to question, I'm in agreement with others in here.. If you're in doubt that you should mention it, then you should. It'll only play on your mind during the interview otherwise. That way I see one of two things happening; they revoke the interview, or they continue. And if they continue then they must see someone worth interviewing and you should feel good about that in my opinion.

No negative points in interviews please, unless you've got a killer resolution to that negative!
I feel a bit more confident (awkwardness aside in this situation), however, in terms of my fit, I don't know. I have done things since then, volunteered a bit more.

However, I seem to recall last time they wanted someone with video skills that were keen, and I remember last time I sort of slipped up in the test they gave me. I said that it wasn't really my forte, and showed a slightly less lean towards video.

I hit all the right points in terms of graphics design, but I scored lower on video - therefore I didn't make it to 2nd interview.

I am speculating yes, as I don't want to go in and be like "Hi its me, and nothing's really changed". I haven't done any videography work since, but I am in the process of doing some with a charity. That doesn't start until Feb.

I don't think they gave me feedback, it was a generic, we found someone a better fit to our criteria.

The interview went okay I think. Was very laid back - with two young interviewees.

Id still go.
You are in a different position to a year ago You have some videography work experience planned. And you have done other things since as well.
It may not even be the same people interviewing you anyway. Even if it is- they may not remember you if it was a year ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending