The Student Room Group

Helpp i have an official tmw

hello,
so I'm struggling with this question so please help me that would be appreciated !
the answer to a is (b)
and the answer to b is (d)
thanks in advance !
chem 2.png
Original post by sarah5
hello,
so I'm struggling with this question so please help me that would be appreciated !
the answer to a is (b)
and the answer to b is (d)
thanks in advance !
chem 2.png

For (a), you need the difference in electronegativity to be the maximum. That way, the distribution of charge will be most asymmetrical.

For (b), you need the difference in electronegativity to be the maximum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BobbJo
For (a), you need the difference in electronegativity to be the maximum. That way, the distribution of charge will be most asymmetrical.

For (b), you need the difference in electronegativity to be the least.

You're right about (a), but don't forget that options C and D should not be considered at all because they are ionic bonds, and the question specifically asked for covalent bonds.

As for (b), the opposite is true, actually. Think about it this way. A covalent bond having 'ionic character' means that the difference between the charges of both bonded atoms has to be greater; one needs to be more positive and the other needs to be more negative. Hence, the difference in electronegativity between the atoms needs to be the greatest.

I've actually just finished doing and marking this paper an hour ago, and the marks scheme confirms this.
Original post by ThatGuy26

As for (b), the opposite is true, actually. Think about it this way. A covalent bond having 'ionic character' means that the difference between the charges of both bonded atoms has to be greater; one needs to be more positive and the other needs to be more negative. Hence, the difference in electronegativity between the atoms needs to be the greatest.

I've actually just finished doing and marking this paper an hour ago, and the marks scheme confirms this.

But for (b) the question is which compound is most ionic? None of the options have a covalently bonded molecule. Polar covalent bonds are not relevant.

Edit: Oops, I just realised what I typed earlier. You're right about the difference in electronegativity (although covalent bonds are not involved here)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BobbJo
But for (b) the question is which compound is most ionic? None of the options have a covalently bonded molecule. Polar covalent bonds are not relevant.

Edit: Oops, I just realised what I typed earlier. You're right about the difference in electronegativity (although covalent bonds are not involved here)

You're right, actually! They're all ionic bonds. I never noticed that while doing the question. Regardless, to be 'more ionic' means to have a greater difference in electronegativity.
Original post by ThatGuy26
You're right, actually! They're all ionic bonds. I never noticed that while doing the question. Regardless, to be 'more ionic' means to have a greater difference in electronegativity.

Yup, sorry about that! I did mean to type greater electronegativity difference though haha xD

Quick Reply

Latest