The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths uni based on reputation?

I got offered a spot to study psychology at Goldsmiths, Essex, Swansea, Stirling and Brunel. Which one is the best based on reputation and in all. (which one will look the best on my future resume when applying for jobs or internships)
Original post by n_student2017
I got offered a spot to study psychology at Goldsmiths, Essex, Swansea, Stirling and Brunel. Which one is the best based on reputation and in all. (which one will look the best on my future resume when applying for jobs or internships)

Which one do you think you can get a first?
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
Swansea is probably the best in terms of reputation
Original post by PQ
Which one do you think you can get a first?

what do you mean? I got unconditional offers to all of them, now I only have to choose.
what do you mean? I got unconditional offers to all of them, now I only have to choose.

Where do you think you will be happy and motivated enough to get a first class degree.
Original post by PQ
Where do you think you will be happy and motivated enough to get a first class degree.

I think I would be happy an motivated at a university with good lecturers and a good student life and campus. But it is also important for me to know which one of them has the best "reputation".
Original post by HarleyEy
Swansea is probably the best in terms of reputation

So if I were to make a desicion based on the universitites reputation, I should go for Swansea?

Never pick a uni based on reputation.

I spoke with careers advisers and they found that employers do not care what uni you've attended (apart from the obvious elite few, except that's mainly for Cambridge etc). They found they most care about you, your work ethic, your degree grade, what degree and any work experience; this accounted for 60% to 90% of their priority in hiring whereas uni reputation rarely went above 10%.

I'm a second year at Goldsmiths, studying Education, Culture and Society and love it here! I got offers from Warwick/UCL/Roehamption/Twickenham with Goldsmiths being my first choice! I picked it solely on it's atmosphere, it's super friendly and the lecturers are amazing (I speak only for my course as I do not know much about others of course). I found UCL too competitive, I knew it would suck the fun out of learning, same with Warwick. The other two were okay but it didn't like 'sell' to me.

In other words, visit the unis, talk to the teachers and other students and pick the uni that's right for you personally! Don't get 50 grand in debt and lose your passion for the subject.
I think I would be happy an motivated at a university with good lecturers and a good student life and campus. But it is also important for me to know which one of them has the best "reputation".

So what happens if the university you chose on its 'name' slips several places down the league tables while you are there?

The only reason to choose on reputation is if a particular university is regarded as being particularly good in your chosen subject, and then only if the university is somewhere that you feel happy being at for the next three or four years.

So why did you apply to those five universities? Presumably you didn't just stick pins into a map, so to speak? Which one has the course which most interests you, or the ones which best fit in with what you want to do with your degree? Have you actually visited any of them and if so, where did you feel most comfortable?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending