The Student Room Group

a levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xnotapplicablex
im not sure what i want to do in the future, science is a possibility which is why i was thinking bio and chem

I thought like that, I would go with the subjects you enjoy the most and go from there! Also have a think about what you want to do you’ve still got a few months to decide so don’t stress about it too much right now :smile: good luck with your gcses
is bio less of a jump then?

I think bio is less of a jump personally as our first topic was biological molecules - proteins, lipids and carbohydrates so as long as you understood that, you could build on it in all the other topics. In chemistry, it was sort of a small recap of GCSE stuff and straight into building on that so you need to be really confident (I got an A* at GCSE and really struggled still) I was wondering do you have the option to do 4 subjects? because you could try both and have a backup in case you want to drop.
Original post by LRxS
Chem is HARD af, but it’s worth it. I (mostly!) enjoy it but it is a lot of work. Bio is easier, certainly in year 12; year 13 is more complicated, but it’s still mostly rote learning, understanding definitely helps but you can work around that. Year 13 Bio has essays - you’ll need further reading beyond the syllabus to get A or A* grades. I’m on Edexcel Chem & AQA Bio. I’m also far from a natural academic.

What kind of essays do you have to do?
i want to take bio, chem and econ for a level, but everyone is scaring me saying bio and chem are too hard - bio we do OCR board and chem AQA
is it too hard?

I do Biology OCR and I can guarantee you that it is the easiest to learn out of all my science subjects. I am currently studying Biology OCR, Chemistry AQA, Physics OCR as well as Maths EDEXCEL and so far, 4 months in, I have found Biology the easiest to deal with. Yes I understand that you do need decent teachers, but more importantly you need to be willing to strive to understand everything even when it isnt clear in class. What I am trying to say is that there are always some things that I dont quite understand in class but using the recommended textbooks once I get home always clears my doubts. Chemistry is also similar in this aspect. I wouldn't say the subjects are hard because actually when u just read over your notes and read over your textbooks, everything does make sense. It's also a lot easier if you practice exam questions or any practice questions after every topic. That way your understanding improves significantly and you feel less stressed at the end of unit tests because when a similar question to what you have seen before on a practice question comes up, you are 10 times more equipped to deal with it. In summary I would definitely recommend taking Bio OCR and Chem AQA and overall they are very manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest