The Student Room Group

Best Revision Guide: Letts or CGP?

Now firstly. I dont want people coming on here to say don't use revision guides they suck.:smile:

So which, in your opinion/experience is better the Letts AS & A2 in one Revision Guides or the CGP ones. For AS level and A2. Especially for AQA A Biology & Physics, and Edexcel Chemistry.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CGP, most definately. I'm sure Letts miss so much stuff out!
Reply 2
I always prefer cgp.. more entertaining with crappy jokes and make an easier read in understandable terms with complex things. Letts were a tad dull. But then again thats just me and the fact I'm easily amused :P x
Reply 3
IMO? They're both ****. For AQA I'd just get the AQA module books and stick with those. Not sure about Edexcel though since I've never been with them.
Reply 4
Blackwater
IMO? They're both ****. For AQA I'd just get the AQA module books and stick with those. Not sure about Edexcel though since I've never been with them.

Could u link me to them i cant seem to find any:/
Reply 5
boom-gurl
I always prefer cgp.. more entertaining with crappy jokes and make an easier read in understandable terms with complex things. Letts were a tad dull. But then again thats just me and the fact I'm easily amused :P x

lol definitely CGP - youve gotta love the cheesy jokes hehe

i still remember the GCSE chem guide, chapter on rock formation: "nono its sedimentary my dear watson" lol cant beat that :biggrin:
Reply 7
The Toffy
Could u link me to them i cant seem to find any:/

I'm not sure where you'd actually buy them from because I've always got mine from the school, but I'm pretty sure that they are available in stores because I think some of my friends have bought them - they're the small red books written by AQA which cover each topic in the syllabus.
Reply 8
Cgp All The Way
Reply 9
Blackwater
I'm not sure where you'd actually buy them from because I've always got mine from the school, but I'm pretty sure that they are available in stores because I think some of my friends have bought them - they're the small red books written by AQA which cover each topic in the syllabus.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-AS-Biology-Module-Systems/dp/0860034860/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201203545&sr=8-4
Is it that
Reply 10
I find that Letts are much better. They are higher quality, clearer and have a nice, clean layout. CGP revision guides have too much information on one page making revision seem boring.
Reply 12
CGP but depends on subject for sciences heinemann are best, for business studies CGP are the best. It really depends on the subject
Reply 13
imo Lettes are much better. Bought a CGP one for as physics, it was ridiculous, no clear explanations, unclear diagrams, no exam questions either. Fair enough with the crappy jokes, they are a bit of light relief, but im not really in the mood for a laugh when revising tbh.
Reply 14
CGP..mainly because it covers most of the boards, they're more organized and have a better lay out, humour too (cheesy but yea helps when you're drained).
Letts on the other hand have minimum explanation. sometimes that too is pretty ambiguous.
The Toffy
Now firstly. I dont want people coming on here to say don't use revision guides they suck.:smile:

So which, in your opinion/experience is better the Letts AS & A2 in one Revision Guides or the CGP ones. For AS level and A2. Especially for AQA A Biology & Physics, and Edexcel Chemistry.

Thanks

I don't know about Letts and I only do Biology but don't use CGP. For edexcel anyway they don't even cover the syllabus (yes even the syllabus specific ones). An entire section on the eye and plants just wasn't covered. I used CGP for my unit four this week and the explanation I learnt for one aspect out of the book was not in detail enough to secure me full marks. Really frustrating.

These books are amazing. Get them. Much better than either of the others, and they do them for quite a wide range of syllabuses.
CGP all the way! they saved me during gcse revision, and i've got the AS business studies & chemistry ones now; i can't tell you how many times they've saved me from failing unit tests by explaining topics clearly so that i actually understand! =]. heineman do an amazing revision guide for edexcel maths/economics though (i know the OP isn't doing them, but others might...) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heinemann-Modular-Maths-Edexcel-Revise/dp/043551122X/ref=pd_sim_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1201208731&sr=1-2
CGP if you want the quirky jokes,

Letts if you want to pass with a decent grade

(lol, nah CGP is good for passing too, I recommend that, but I do think that there are some topics which they dont cover in enough detail sometimes)
Reply 19
CGP + past papers = delicious exams.

Quick Reply

Latest