The Student Room Group

Driving Anxiety

I began learning to drive and ever since I have really bad anxiety about it before the lesson. It's almost all the time and I dread having my lessons just because of the anxiety I get from it as it can really put my mood down.

What would be the best way to reduce this as it costs a lot and I don't want to see the money go to waste.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kay8521
I began learning to drive and ever since I have really bad anxiety about it before the lesson. It's almost all the time and I dread having my lessons just because of the anxiety I get from it as it can really put my mood down.

What would be the best way to reduce this as it costs a lot and I don't want to see the money go to waste.

I have moved this to Learning to Drive, you are more likely to get replies here.
Reply 2
How many lessons have you had?
Is your instructor quite calm and patient how do they handle mistakes?
Is there something that makes you particularly anxious about lessons?

I found driving on busy traffic made it worse for me so I moved my lessons to 9:30 when it's less, it meant I could concentrate more on what was in front then worrying about how many people I was holding up.

It's also worth discussing it with your instructor as they might have suggestions?
Reply 3
Original post by T_B_N.

I found driving on busy traffic made it worse for me so I moved my lessons to 9:30 when it's less, it meant I could concentrate more on what was in front then worrying about how many people I was holding up.

It's also worth discussing it with your instructor as they might have suggestions?

I have only had 11 lessons, and my instructor is very calm with me and doesn't shout or anything like that. If I make a mistake he won't tell me whilst I'm driving he has me pull over in a safe area and then draws on paper where I went wrong and explains it to me, My lessons are at 10.15 so a fairly quite part of the day with no traffic. It's just the thought of driving which scares me the most.
Original post by Kay8521

Privyet

I have the same thing whilst driving, best thing to do is to build confidence
I personally like to play driving games, anything where u can get some practice with the wheel (and pedals ideally) is good

Hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by Kay8521
I have only had 11 lessons, and my instructor is very calm with me and doesn't shout or anything like that. If I make a mistake he won't tell me whilst I'm driving he has me pull over in a safe area and then draws on paper where I went wrong and explains it to me, My lessons are at 10.15 so a fairly quite part of the day with no traffic. It's just the thought of driving which scares me the most.

It sounds like your instructors good. I did find driving quite daunting and not being used to driving at speed was one of the things that I found harder to get used too. I think it comes with time, I'd also remember your instructor has dual controls so can get you out of most problematic situations.

Perhaps try going on a walk before a lesson might help clear your mind.
Original post by T_B_N.

Driving with less traffic is a big help for me personally as well. That’s around middle of the day for where I am.
Reply 7
after only 11 lessons you haven’t had much practice and it’s normal in my opinion to still be nervous as i would get nervous before each lesson up until about after 20-25 lessons. sometimes it just takes time and becoming comfortable in lessons
I am also learning driving and has anxiety problem but mostly on dual carriageway my heart start beating fast and my car can't stable it goes left and right
Its fairly normal to be worried driving I have my test in 4 weeks and it can still put me on edge somethings. The more you do it the more natural it will get easier as time goes on.
my instructer advised me eat lots of chocolate to avoid nervousness
anyone tried
Reply 11
Original post by mrshussain123
my instructer advised me eat lots of chocolate to avoid nervousness
anyone tried

i think thats a brilliant idea
Original post by blockingHD
Its fairly normal to be worried driving I have my test in 4 weeks and it can still put me on edge somethings. The more you do it the more natural it will get easier as time goes on.

Very similar to mine (16th Feb).

Where are you taking it?
Berkshire
Original post by accountant-future
Very similar to mine (16th Feb).

Where are you taking it?

Mine is on the 9th and in B'ham :smile:
Confidence, it comes after some time. Anxiety comes back after you learn to drive, for the first few weeks I loved driving but dreaded getting in my car to actually do it. Been driving a little over a month now, a few near misses throw me off but other than that I get in with the confidence of any other driver on the road. You'll be fine.

Berkshire

Whereabouts? Berkshire test routes aren't too bad. Reading is probably the worst out of the lot, and fortunately Bracknell does not have a test centre (truly evil punishing roundabouts)
(edited 6 years ago)
Slough
there is new test rout but it is very rough dual carriageway starts at the starting
Slough
there is new test rout but it is very rough dual carriageway starts at the starting

If you can drive in Slough you can drive almost anywhere in the South-East at least lol.
yeah 😣
Reply 19
driving in north devon as probably a worse place to drive. we have a roundabout which nobody seems to know how to use. this probably applies to most roundabouts in general in all honesty. i havent had to deal with one yet buy there are 4 different lanes to chose from

Quick Reply

Latest