The Student Room Group

Help GCSE art student I don't know what to do for my art exam

My teacher has just given out our art exam this is the ocr exam
and there were 4 themes:frozen, contrast,hinge and ring.

at first I chose ring which reminded me of circles and i thought about the circle of life-->plants and i thought i could take photos of a circular window with pots of plants on the side and the scenery out side could be the night sky but in a abstract style if that makes sense? the plants signify life and the night also signifies death in a way beacuse its dark and death is apart of the circle of life right?

my teacher disagreed with the idea because she wasn't liking the idea of the theme of rings

so I thought of contrast and when I think of contrast i think of opposites like light and dark
which then I thought i could take photos of the night time when theres a moon and house light ect my point is its tonal difference with the dark tones of blue black..... in the sky when I paint and the moon and street lights or house lights will stand out but she still disagreed; she asked me questions like how am I going to incorporate this what photos how am I going to develop this if that makes sense?

so now im stuck and I've only got 10 weeks which is not long because all my other gcses subjects are taking place too so im asking for ideas and what I should do because my mind has gone dry to the bone I have no idea what to do its driving my teacher mad too shes really angry at me and i feel really bad abt it.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm in exactly the same position as you I just got my art exam too!
I think contrast is a good one to pick, and you don't have to just use contrasts such as light and dark or night time.
You could also take an ordinary picture say like in trees in a forest, you have the shadow of the trees and the light coming through, then when you go to paint it use bright colours for the light areas with much darker in the shaded.
There's also contrasts between colours in plants that you could do, say pick red and bright green or oranges in plants or blue, red, yellow flowers and painting them at a higher saturation with a background of dusk or night time that would contrast this with a dark colouring and less activity going on in this area of the painting.
Or if you did want to do a night time scene perhaps a city at night? The lights would stand out against the sky and having the moon in the background would also give you a contrast.
Reply 2
Hi guys, i too did this exam and chose the theme hinges! Im curious to hear what theme you guys stuck with and he meaning behind the images

Quick Reply

Latest