vinsta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
to get an offer at say, ucl or cambridge is it essential to be predicted an A in further maths???
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For what course? Economics?
vinsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustard-man)
For what course? Economics?
yes
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Okay, just reported it for it to be moved to the relevant section
vinsta
Rep:
?
anyone??
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Pretty much, yeah.
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Swayam)
Pretty much, yeah.
:ditto:
vinsta
Rep:
?
so has anyone been accepted with a B prediction??
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
to get an offer at say, ucl or cambridge is it essential to be predicted an A in further maths???
Cambridge and UCL Economics courses all ask for AAA so i think all candidates who offer FM have been predicted an A grade in it. For UCL i dont think you need to have FM but for Cambridge i think its a neccessity. All of the people in my school who got offers from Cambridge (6) for Economics were doing A2 FM
vinsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by steve2006)
Cambridge and UCL Economics courses all ask for AAA so i think all candidates who offer FM have been predicted an A grade in it. For UCL i dont think you need to have FM but for Cambridge i think its a neccessity. All of the people in my school who got offers from Cambridge (6) for Economics were doing A2 FM
but if you're doing 4 subects including FM you can get 3As without gaining an A in FM.
gemma-xx
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
i got an offer from cambridge and UCL for pure economics and i'm not doing FM A2, i'm only doing it to AS.
vinsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by geekonomic)
i got an offer from cambridge and UCL for pure economics and i'm not doing FM A2, i'm only doing it to AS.
o good that encouraging, i doubt i can get an A in FM
what are ur gcse and AS UMS grades??
gemma-xx
Report 11 years ago
11 A*s and maths A2, further maths AS (which i'm doing this year so i havent actually got the results yet), french AS, economics AS, english AS and general studies AS, and i got As in all of those.
further maths AS is not too bad, you should probably be able to manage it even if you're not that mathematical because i think it only gets really hard when you start doing FP2 and FP3.
good luck :-)
vinsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by geekonomic)
11 A*s and maths A2, further maths AS (which i'm doing this year so i havent actually got the results yet), french AS, economics AS, english AS and general studies AS, and i got As in all of those.
further maths AS is not too bad, you should probably be able to manage it even if you're not that mathematical because i think it only gets really hard when you start doing FP2 and FP3.
good luck :-)
wow, well done. what was ur ums in those, especially maths?
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
AS Further Maths is easier than A2 Maths since most people dodge the harder modules i.e do FP1 + two applied modules (of course i never did this :p: ).
If you can, do the pure modules since they will be more useful for uni-- the applied ones are practically useless for Econ.
.ACS.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
AS Further Maths is easier than A2 Maths since most people dodge the harder modules i.e do FP1 + two applied modules (of course i never did this :p: ).
If you can, do the pure modules since they will be more useful for uni-- the applied ones are practically useless for Econ.
The problem is, however, that a lot of the time teachers choose the modules for you, and for the sake of higher grades force you to do applied (read: easier) modules.

EDIT: That's why I'm also doing Additional Further Maths (AS), to be able to do FP3 (as well as FP1 and FP2).
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
Nor did I :ninja: *whispers FP1, S1 and S2 *
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Nor did I :ninja: *whispers FP1, S1 and S2 *
ha
How is your course going? I remember all the self teaching and UCAS application troubles you went through. Is it greener over there?
gemma-xx
Report 11 years ago
are applied units really useless for economics?? oh no! gutted lol. i thought perhaps the statistics might come in handy at least?
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gemma-xx)
are applied units really useless for economics?? oh no! gutted lol. i thought perhaps the statistics might come in handy at least?
Some of it is useful apparently. But if you have the choice of doing applied vs pure modules, then do as many pure as possible as that's far more useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads