The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
silent ninja
Some of it is useful apparently. But if you have the choice of doing applied vs pure modules, then do as many pure as possible as that's far more useful.

but it's also far harder! i'm going for the grades...i'm just going to be screwed when i get to uni lol.
gemma-xx
are applied units really useless for economics?? oh no! gutted lol. i thought perhaps the statistics might come in handy at least?
Statistics will be relevant. I have 8 units in total, and one of them is called Statistics for Economic. It is essentially S1, S2 plus few other topics (like portfolio analysis, adjusted R squared, greater depth into hypothesis testing, Type I and II errors; some maybe met in further stats units I imagine). The pace they went through S1 and S2 topics wasn't even funny, don't know how I would have coped if I hadn't done S1 and S2 before hand. The thing is, universities don't specify whether they want a certain grade in Maths with certain applied units. So they tend to go over relevant S1 and S2 stuff anyway. There's also Quantitative modelling, which is a beast (goes into more depth into poisson, binomial, exponential). We also have policy and perspectives, which uses basic linear regression.

Check out my course syllabus (for units involving large amounts stats) if you're interested. Obviously other universities may not follow the exact same material...
Reply 22
sorry for random bump. Everyone is in general agreement that an A in A2 FM is highly valuable. But what about a B? Do unis still look upon a FM A2 well even if it's not an A?
Well it depends on your other grades.If you take 3 A-levels and get a B in further maths then you will be at a disadvantage if you apply to cambridge, lse, etc..

Hey quick question.

I have an A in Maths (C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1)
What modules do I have to take in order to get an AS Futher Maths....?
Reply 24
vinsta
o good that encouraging, i doubt i can get an A in FM
what are ur gcse and AS UMS grades??

why does it appear you're quoting geekonomic lmao?
Reply 25
The_question
Well it depends on your other grades.If you take 3 A-levels and get a B in further maths then you will be at a disadvantage if you apply to cambridge, lse, etc..

Hey quick question.

I have an A in Maths (C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1)
What modules do I have to take in order to get an AS Futher Maths....?

You are raising the dead here: the previous post was 6th septmber 2008
Reply 26
dawgnuts
why does it appear you're quoting geekonomic lmao?

No idea, I certainly did not edit the name :confused:
Reply 27
vinsta
No idea, I certainly did not edit the name :confused:

Sorry to quote you, it seems someone else bumped up this thread from about a year ago lol

Latest

Trending

Trending