The Student Room Group

Continue with Further Maths yes/no?

I'm in the old A-level system (AS in Y12, A2 in Y13). I have an offer to study Japanese at Oxford, currently studying French, Spanish, Maths, Further Maths and Welsh Bacc. I'm not sure whether to continue with Further Maths.

Reasons to continue
> I regret not applying for economics at uni. If I end up dropping out of Oxford or rejecting my offer, I'll almost certainly be applying for economics and Cambridge, where most successful applicants have Further Maths (and 1 in 7 people get in, so high competition). I've also finished my French A-level so it's not a very impressive workload to just be doing two and a half subjects (if you count Welsh Bacc as a half)
> Already spent quite bit of time doing A2 (but have been careful not to do too much because of the possibility of not continuing).
> It's quite probable that I'll want to go into a quantitative career, where as many maths qualifications as possible might be useful

Reasons not to continue
> Waste of time: If I take my Oxford offer, it doesn't require me to continue with FM, and my offer is extremely achievable.
> If I continue, I probably won't want to put very much effort into it, so would probably get an A but there's an (admittedly small) chance of getting a B, which might not look good
Personally, I will carry on doing FM. There're chances that you will drop Oxford and Cambridge won't like to see a B in FM (especially if that course is Maths-based). And how likely will you drop out? Having that thought before going to uni is usually a bad indicator as you know you come to Oxford to study your **** off, not to play (the workloads are nightmares).

And you just got 2.5 subjects, compared to the normal 3-4! What more do you want? That amount of work should be easy to handle for an Oxbridge applicant, and you say studying Maths will help with your career, it won't be a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest