Lury
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Main question:
I have my Edexcel AS exams on Chemistry, Physics and Maths (C1,C2 and M1) this May. I'll be giving the old spec.
If I start from scratch without going to school, and use textbooks, question paper and the internet, can I expect high As on all subjects?
Trivial stuff:
I've been very depressed around the time school had started, and couldn't really concentrate much on my studies.
I don't go to school now (I will give my exams from there however), but I do go to a private coaching for physics.
I'm finally starting to recover on my own, but I still need to do it in the comfort of my home, and I tend to work better that way. I enjoy self-studying. But the thought of failing doing that scares me a lot. I am willing to put in the hard work.
I also want to self-learn further maths, that I will give over January and May, as my exam board allows Jan exams, and do ECAs.
Given all this, can I achieve good As in these four months? How many hours in minimum should I be studying each week? If it helps then I got 6 A*s and 2 As in my (I)GCSEs, and didn't put in much effort I believe.
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As are possible, depending on how good you are at the subjects and how hard working you can be. At least by reading/ learning the mark schemes and cheat sheets, you can get high Bs. Just make sure you understand the materials and have someone to ask (preferably a private tutor) for problems you don't understand. About 40h a week should be fine, but be careful because phone and social media can easily distract you. M1 overlaps with Topic 2 in Physics, so you will save yourself some time, but remember the layouts are different. Do a lot of past papers and learn the mark schemes (learn the way they want you to do, the layouts they want, not just the results, copy them to exact words). For notes, physics and maths tutor and chemrevise are good.

(Btw when you say you want to do Further Maths, is that C3, C4 and S1? Because you definitely want to do those before FPs and other applied modules)
Lury
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
As are possible, depending on how good you are at the subjects and how hard working you can be. At least by reading/ learning the mark schemes and cheat sheets, you can get high Bs. Just make sure you understand the materials and have someone to ask (preferably a private tutor) for problems you don't understand. About 40h a week should be fine, but be careful because phone and social media can easily distract you. M1 overlaps with Topic 2 in Physics, so you will save yourself some time, but remember the layouts are different. Do a lot of past papers and learn the mark schemes (learn the way they want you to do, the layouts they want, not just the results, copy them to exact words). For notes, physics and maths tutor and chemrevise are good.

(Btw when you say you want to do Further Maths, is that C3, C4 and S1? Because you definitely want to do those before FPs and other applied modules)

By further maths I mean fp1, fp2, m2, m3 and s2
I'm planning to study fp1, m2 and m3 till April and then do the qp after my May AS exams end, and start A2 maths and A2 further maths in September. I'll go to school for those, I just want to do AS by myself.
Can I finish the syllabi by March, before the mocks? If it depends on how good I am at the subjects, how well would you think an average student studying about 6-8 hours a day alongside ECAs and further maths do?
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lury)
By further maths I mean fp1, fp2, m2, m3 and s2
I'm planning to study fp1, m2 and m3 till April and then do the qp after my May AS exams end, and start A2 maths and A2 further maths in September. I'll go to school for those, I just want to do AS by myself.
Can I finish the syllabi by March, before the mocks? If it depends on how good I am at the subjects, how well would you think an average student studying about 6-8 hours a day alongside ECAs and further maths do?
I think A in Maths and B in the others unless you are really talented (I take average as "get As with teachers and hard-working") Finishing by March is a little bit too much, unless you have started now, I would expect 3 months of extreme work, 6-8 should only be able to help you cover the material, you need to practice as well! As of now, doing C3 and M2 first would be wiser, as C3 can help you a bit with C1 and C2, same with M2. Leave FP1 for the summer.
username3480226
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doesnt matter how high you will get. Get as high as you CAN get
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?