The Student Room Group

Will I ever be pretty again ?

This sounds really vain I know. I guess I just need a place to vent.
I was a pretty kid. I’m not gonna beat around the bush. Around year 8 my skin went downhill really fast and now its disgusting. My nose is all weird and my face is uneven. Sometimes I can’t understand how people can look at me. Most of the time I want to go somewhere alone and cry. I hide my face in public. I wonder if I will always be ugly, and will never be as pretty or confident as I was when I was a child. Has anyone ever felt like this ?
Do not let your looks define you.
Reply 2
The standard of appearance beauty is defined by mass media.
Asians with small eyes used to consider as ugly in the old days, due to the overwhelming of Korean trend, people with small eyes is branded as acceptable appearance.

If you are simply referring appearance beauty, may be you can try to look for a current existing star and try to look like them? After all, their fashion style is designed to please the public audience.

But if you are referring self-confident or "inner beauty", it has nothing to do with your appearance. Just move on your life and go for what you are good at, develop a respectable expertise, no one dare look down on you I promise.
Original post by Anonymous

I was a pretty kid. I’m not gonna beat around the bush. Around year 8 my skin went downhill really fast and now its disgusting.

If I'm being completely honest, even if you didn't develop spots etc, you would look vastly different by the end of puberty anyway! :tongue: No-one looks amazing in pre-Year 8 compared to their 18 year old self and afterwards.

Just keep calm, everyone experiences spots to a certain extent. Some of us are less lucky than others. Looking back on photos of myself from when I was 15/16, my face was a combination of wonky ass teeth and spots spanning from pole to pole! :biggrin: I'm now 21 and only get the occasional spot on my nose and my teeth have straightened up (due to braces). May not be a 10/10 but I certainly look massively better now compared to pre-puberty.
Reply 4
practice self care (go on pinterest and search it)
you will be loving yourself in no time
I was a pretty kid. I’m not gonna beat around the bush. Around year 8 my skin went downhill really fast and now its disgusting. My nose is all weird and my face is uneven. Sometimes I can’t understand how people can look at me. Most of the time I want to go somewhere alone and cry. I hide my face in public. I wonder if I will always be ugly, and will never be as pretty or confident as I was when I was a child. Has anyone ever felt like this ?

Look, I have been in your place and I still am to be honest. I've heard a lot of "looks don't define you", "focus on your education", "your personality is what matters" etc etc and don't get me wrong, I agree with all of that and you should focus on those too BUT I still think about my looks everyday, it's always in the back of mind, and I don't feel confident about how I look at all which just makes me feel horrible about myself and if I do sound vain then whatever, that's just I feel.

I really do think that my looks AND your looks will improve on throughout the days/months/years as long as we take care of ourselves and focus on what we want to change. There are so many ways to alter your looks within surgery/injections, if that's what you want to do in the future, tbh, that's not what I want for now. So, the things I could only change with surgery, I am trying and growing to love or even not pay attention to it because that's what I'm gonna live with for the rest of my life however, for things that I could improve such as acne, I'm doing a lot of research on it to get rid of it (skin care products, food, exercise)

Also just to say we are our own worst critics, so whatever you see that's 'ugly' about yourself, people might not have even noticed that certain feature that you're insecure of and even IFFFFF they have, they still love you for who you are, trust me on that.

I wish you allll happiness.

how old are you now?
Fam, I was ugly af in year 7-9 and then I had a glow up and now I'm happy in my own skin and don't care what anyone thinks. It's normal to be "ugly" in ur early pubescent years, puberty does that. At least you're getting it in the right order. Some people I saw at my secondary was known as the "best looking" (they really werent lol but okey) and then they left secondary and when I see them on the streets i think omg what happened to you..
Other people who were considered "ugly" in my secondary became really beautiful people when they entered college.

I looked back on some early photos and just thought AHAHAHA i was so ugly 😂.

But the thing is it's really important to have confidence and to smile. I used to be so miserable and so my face always looked like i wanted to kill someone, but then year 10 came along and evrrything got better and I changed my attire and I would smile more and look physically healthier and better. Don't worry!

I bet you're not even ugly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey....key is to realize that you can't change what your body's going through. Use beauty products if you want, but really it's just a phase, so ignore it. Besides you wouldn't be so worked up over this if you don't think about how "pretty" others are. You're beautiful as you are coz those spots and stuff make you who you are, your appearance is part of your identity.
Think about it like this: would you rather not be yourself coz you're conscious about looks, or just be the normal you and not care what anybody thinks about your face? Coz it's you're face and not theirs!

Quick Reply

Latest