Is it OK to ask friends for money?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
anna_00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically we're about to lose our house unless my mom can get a sum of money together by April - I don't have a job and I'm in full time education (second year of A levels), so I was thinking of making thread bracelets and selling them around school/to my friends? I used to do this when I was like 10 and sell each bracelet for 50p haha, but it feels weird selling stuff to my friends now that I'm 17. I don't have a debit/credit card so I can't sell stuff online, but I really need to raise some money for my mom, and fast. Is it ok to sell these bracelets or should I find another way to get money?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess that's fine. It's not really "asking" since you're selling things to your friends.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A nice sentiment but i have my doubts that 50p bracelets will be able to buy back a house...
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anna_00)
Basically we're about to lose our house unless my mom can get a sum of money together by April - I don't have a job and I'm in full time education (second year of A levels), so I was thinking of making thread bracelets and selling them around school/to my friends? I used to do this when I was like 10 and sell each bracelet for 50p haha, but it feels weird selling stuff to my friends now that I'm 17. I don't have a debit/credit card so I can't sell stuff online, but I really need to raise some money for my mom, and fast. Is it ok to sell these bracelets or should I find another way to get money?
Why don’t you work part time like Saturday or Sunday?youd still have plenty of time to revise and would be able to make money at the same time.selling bracelets seems a bit ehh at this age idk jus my opinion
anna_00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yeah I probably should have clarified that this wouldn't be my only effort to raise funds aha, and my older siblings are working jobs etc., I just need to contribute in some short term way ASAP before looking into getting a job or something along those lines. I'll look into selling stuff online, thank you
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you thought about getting a job? Working in a chippy or a cafe or something? I doubt you would make much from the bracelets. What about tutoring gcse kids?
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anna_00)
Has your Mom spoken to Citzens Advice?
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
become a youtuber
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're not going to make much selling cheap bracelets unless you have A LOT of friends. Not enough to make any realistic contribution. I'd focus on useful things e.g. can you sell anything you own? can you find a job?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Find a job, even 4 hours in a local shop will bring in money. Babysitting, paper round, dog walking, doing chores for your neighbours / elderly relatives. Selling your stuff. I have several ornaments and necklaces etc. which I know I could sell if I needed to, so rummage around your room and see if you have anything lying around that you can live without.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Agree with the ones who say you wont make enough and that a part time job is much better.
Be careful of how much damage it oes to your A levels.

Make sure your mum has taken advice either from CAB or Shelter into your housing issue. You may be able to get extra time.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...advice/advice/
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't forget that if you want to make things to sell, you're going to have to buy materials too. It's not a realistic way to make money, honestly. Especially on the scale that you need. You'd be better off applying for part time jobs and in the meantime offering babysitting or tutoring services, that kind of thing
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads