Anyone with BSM? Watch

SBP
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Just need to know whether anyone who's with BSM had to pay extra on the day of their test for some reason?
Haven't had my test yet, but my instructor is saying that before it starts, I have to meet up with them and go over some stuff which they're charging extra for?!
Anyone else with them had to do this?

[Don't bother if you're not with them, I'm already aware about their ridiculous prices and don't need it to be rubbed in :rolleyes:]
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have heard stories about some instructors doing this but not all - depends really.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
BSM are second to none, and their prices are standard. you will have to pay extra for the day because you will require 2 hours, so thats how much it will cost. you cant expect to pay for 1 hour and be using the car for say 1:45 mins.
DJW
Report 11 years ago
As above - they're not charging "extra", they're charging what they would normally charge to have the car for two hours.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had to pay for the lesson before my test is that what you mean?
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh no - i menat some instructors charge more than the 2 X 1 hour lessons. The instructor i know who lives next door at home used to be with BSM and he charged normal rate but he said most charged upto £75 for the 2 hour slot.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
Oh no - i menat some instructors charge more than the 2 X 1 hour lessons. The instructor i know who lives next door at home used to be with BSM and he charged normal rate but he said most charged upto £75 for the 2 hour slot.
With what justification? My instructor didn't do that for any of my tests
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
mine didn't either - some do, some don't. Theres not really a justification - just a quick way for some instructors to get more cash.
BibbleJW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He didn't mean the total of car hire and the test fees (which go to the DVLA, not BSM), did he? I think the test is about £48, so on top of the car hire, it would be about that amount.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't mean both either
DJW
Report 11 years ago
Book your lessons and what not through the office instead of through the instructor.
SBP
Haha, I think everyone's getting the wrong end of the stick...:p:
Basically needed to know why my instructor was charging me extra on the day of the test, but failed to tell me that I was having a quick lesson before hand! She just told me that today, so it's all cleared.

Cheers for the help though anyway
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yep - you usually get 1 hour lesson before a test, then another hour for the test, so 2 hours.
lil_miss_annoymous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
On the day of my test my instructor charged me for TWO hours. One for 40 minutes before hand going thru stuff e.g my emergency stop and then charged me the second hour for when i was on my test!. Because even tho we are not having a lesson he cant actually use his car to teach someone else and he has to wait for you lol so therfore counts as a nother lesson.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
every instructor charges for 2 hours - 1 for the lesson and oen for the test as you are using their car.

they shouldt charge more than their hourly rate JUST because it is the test of course.
SBP
oh I see, didn't think about the fact that they're charging me for using the car etc.
still think its ridiculous though; paying for the lesson before is fair enough, but paying for the test AND using the car...dear me :p:
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think its unfair. My driving instructor had 3 tests in 2 days. Due to the silly times tests are usually at its usually a waste of a morning or afternoon for the instructor for one test. Instructors often do not make anywhere near the level of income advertised. Plus the test fee doesn't go to your instructor is goes to the 'DSA'.
thomasp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SBP)
oh I see, didn't think about the fact that they're charging me for using the car etc.
still think its ridiculous though; paying for the lesson before is fair enough, but paying for the test AND using the car...dear me :p:
Not really - as has been said before they have to cover running costs (fuel, wear & tear on tyres, etc) of the car while you're driving it around for 40mins, and they won't be able to take anyone else for lessons then, so they have to cover that time.

And you need to pay the DSA for hire of the examiner, hence why you have to pay for the test.

Now, charging more than the regular lesson price for a test - that's unfair.
DJW
Report 11 years ago
If you don't wanna pay for the car aswell as the test get your own car, simple as.

You're not paying the same people for both, paying for the test goes to the test centre and paying for the car goes to the instructor/instructor's company.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads