Someperspective
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My first time in halls was amazing. I loved it. I'm back in halls for a second time and it sucks.

2 people have befriended each other, taken over the hall and have random guys in the kitchen pretty much all night every night. They're currently on their 6th night in a row of yet another 'gathering' and no doubt tomorrow will be club night so that's a full week of late night noise. They act like 16 year olds. I feel too awkward to ever go to the kitchen and seems the other guys do too. I moved in way after they had so I'm hesitant to say anything about it.

I know this is uni, but I don't know if my expectations for them to not take the piss 1. so often and 2. always with people who don't actually live here, they ignore the rest of us and just subject us to their noise with their friends instead.

What's reasonable? Don't want to complain unless I have reason to.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Someperspective)
My first time in halls was amazing. I loved it. I'm back in halls for a second time and it sucks.

2 people have befriended each other, taken over the hall and have random guys in the kitchen pretty much all night every night. They're currently on their 6th night in a row of yet another 'gathering' and no doubt tomorrow will be club night so that's a full week of late night noise. They act like 16 year olds. I feel too awkward to ever go to the kitchen and seems the other guys do too. I moved in way after they had so I'm hesitant to say anything about it.

I know this is uni, but I don't know if my expectations for them to not take the piss 1. so often and 2. always with people who don't actually live here, they ignore the rest of us and just subject us to their noise with their friends instead.

What's reasonable? Don't want to complain unless I have reason to.
They're taking the ****ing piss.

Occasional gatherings with some chat is fairly normal, but if they're making a lot of noise past 11pm (let's say 12am to be generous) then it's just not on. Some people have early morning lectures/labs to go to.

You pay rent just like they do - it doesn't matter if you arrived late. Seeing they're undergraduates, I'd imagine they would be willing to engage in a rational conversation about their behaviour.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Foam ear plugs until it dies down. You've got a long way to go still, in terms of shared space, so be the mature one.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m also in halls

I feel with my flat all but 1 of 8 of us go out so most of the time it’s not an issue
But 1. That’s what freshers was for
2. There are also other flats around that will need to sleep for uni the next day
3. They aren’t living alone. They have to respect their flat mates.

I would first, talk to them about the fact they’re bringing strangers into a flat that is also yours and other peoples, and every night is just plain unreasonable. If they don’t tone it down, put in a complaint.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They're being unreasonable. If possible get your other flatmate on board and talk to them before making a complaint. Try and offer a compromise e.g. until 1am 3 nights a week max.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.46%
I'm not sure (26)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (182)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.07%
I'm not a current university student (277)
47.68%

Watched Threads