Is earning 25k a year considered poor? Watch

DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The average graduate salary in 2017 was £23,400.
Elcano
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cat_mac)
Damn how much do you eat??? For one person spending more than £50 a week on food is excessive yikes
Lol. No it is not. And it's not hard to do at all either.
cat_mac
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you just eat takeaways every day??? Eating bricks of 24k gold??? M8.

Also I have sources because I live for stats
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...-spend-compare
Elcano
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buy actual bread. Buy good quality meat. Buy some smoked salmon. Buy peanut butter that isn't sugary ****. Etc. It adds up really quickly. And yes, I do eat takeaway every so often. I could reduce my food spending to £50 a week, but luckily I neither need to, nor do I want to.
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by jazzie14)
Yeah I live with two others no graduate in London lives alone haha
Well explains why you have all this extra money, however you couldnt do it alone
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
would imagine so, yes
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.
ceejidiot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol no. If you're not in London, that's basically the average salary for an office job. Most students are really delusional about money. They think corporations are paying people £40k a year for great jobs, when it's honestly more like £25k a year. There is so much competition for jobs, they don't need to pay people £40k. So £25k a year is basically a very middle-class salary, that most people earn. It would be a very comfortable life. You certainly wouldn't be poor! I seriously know people with PhDs in Physics, who are on £30k a year. That's what the real job market is like. You don't just walk into 40-50k roles. Very few people have them
username2837176
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve just graduated uni, I’m on 25k and living in London and I’m able to save £600/£700 a month quite comfortably
Is that £25k before tax?
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People really saying 45k ain’t rich that is to me tbh. You have a lot of money left to buy nice things. And even more when your husband is paying the rent and things
chosenone93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
People really saying 45k ain’t rich that is to me tbh. You have a lot of money left to buy nice things. And even more when your husband is paying the rent and things
The concept of being rich is subjective but it for damn sure is more than simply having money left over to buy nice things.
username2269391
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by username3016746)
I feel this is max il make in my life
Na u'll make more, everyone does... I surpassed 25k in less than a year after graduation (though this new job was in London lol)

Edit: even if you can't find a job that pays that much you can get creative and start a business and pay yourself what you want
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeah I live with two others no graduate in London lives alone haha
I do, but my rent is slightly more at £825pm ex bills.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ceejidiot)
lol no. If you're not in London, that's basically the average salary for an office job. Most students are really delusional about money. They think corporations are paying people £40k a year for great jobs, when it's honestly more like £25k a year. There is so much competition for jobs, they don't need to pay people £40k. So £25k a year is basically a very middle-class salary, that most people earn. It would be a very comfortable life. You certainly wouldn't be poor! I seriously know people with PhDs in Physics, who are on £30k a year. That's what the real job market is like. You don't just walk into 40-50k roles. Very few people have them
nobody "walks into" any job, you have to get invited for an interview and pass the interview. getting invited is itself a challenge.. some of the interviews i got this season were only given to a couple dozen people out of thousands of applicants.

as far as I'm concerned, i get paid what the market rate is for a job at a specific company. whether or not a salary is considered poor or not is meaningless to me. so far, I've never earned less than ~£30k pro-rata and that's as an intern - just happens that the going rate for stuff i'm interested in is fairly high.
Last edited by Princepieman; 6 months ago
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by natninja)
I do, but my rent is slightly more at £825pm ex bills.
where do you live alone with that monthly rate in london?, i live with a flat mate and pay more than that
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
where do you live alone with that monthly rate in london?, i live with a flat mate and pay more than that
Earl’s Court - usually quite a few studios going for about £900-£1000 if you include bills around there, the odd one or two a bit further east in Gloucester Road and SK and a fair few in West Kensington west across the zone 2 boundary.
TX27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As long as you can afford basic necessities in life with the money you earn your not considered as poor
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’ve just graduated uni, I’m on 25k and living in London and I’m able to save £600/£700 a month quite comfortably
Christ, good going - that must mean no restaurants/takeaways, minimal clothing purchases, very minimal entertainment though.
Adamcool791
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey where I live if he can budget his money and not go out as much he can live ok I don’t have much money to spend on going out as much as I want but at lest my bills are paid and I’m not living on streets
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (72)
52.55%
18-20 years old (no) (18)
13.14%
20-25 years old (yes) (25)
18.25%
20-25 years old (no) (0)
0%
25-30 years old (yes) (11)
8.03%