The Student Room Group

Preparation of Haloalkanes

Hey guys,
I’m studying the Edexcel Int’l AS Chemistry (old spec) and the specification specifies that students should know that “Why Metal Halides and Conc. Sulfuric Acid should not be used when making a bromo- or iodo-alkane.”
I cannot find this in my book.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!
Original post by Sadiii01
Hey guys,
I’m studying the Edexcel Int’l AS Chemistry (old spec) and the specification specifies that students should know that “Why Metal Halides and Conc. Sulfuric Acid should not be used when making a bromo- or iodo-alkane.”
I cannot find this in my book.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!

Maybe because metal halide + sulfuric acid does not make haloalkanes ... ?
Reply 2
Well because metal halide and sulfuric acid forms Hydrogen Halide which is then added to an alkene to form a Haloalkane. This method is given in my book. But my book doesnt explain why metal halide and sulfuric acid should not be used.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Maybe because metal halide + sulfuric acid does not make haloalkanes ... ?

Well because metal halide and sulfuric acid forms Hydrogen Halide which is then added to an alkene to form a Haloalkane. This method is given in my book. But my book doesnt explain why metal halide and sulfuric acid should not be used.
Original post by Sadiii01

Your issue is the hydrogen halide.

Sulfuric acid can oxidise HBr and HI to bromine and iodine, which are also formed in the preparation of the HX.
Reply 5
Original post by charco
Your issue is the hydrogen halide.

Sulfuric acid can oxidise HBr and HI to bromine and iodine, which are also formed in the preparation of the HX.

Ohhh thankssssss!!!

Quick Reply

Latest