Pursuing MSc Musculoskeletal Sports Science after Physio Degree

Watch
Manishrana
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all
I am a Physio and have got admission in MSc Musculoskeletal Sports Science and Health at Loughborough University. Getting into Loughborough is a big thing given its reputation for sport related courses.
Still I want to ask Is it a worthy addition to my skills if I wish to work in the sports ecosystem on and off the field or should I go into more physiotherapy specific courses?
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Manishrana)
Hi all
I am a Physio and have got admission in MSc Musculoskeletal Sports Science and Health at Loughborough University. Getting into Loughborough is a big thing given its reputation for sport related courses.
Still I want to ask Is it a worthy addition to my skills if I wish to work in the sports ecosystem on and off the field or should I go into more physiotherapy specific courses?
Hi Manishrana

That's a really good question and one I don't know the answer too. I'll speak to a couple of people to find out more info and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Vicky
Loughborough University
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi all
Hi again

I've spoken to the programme director and this is what he has told me:

‘If you do have a physiotherapy background and are interested to attain more knowledge on the musculoskeletal side and within a sport setting then you are probably in the right programme.
Modules in this programme includes musculoskeletal injury in sports, biotechnology and regenerative medicine, healthcare technology, and different techniques to quantify the human musculoskeletal system. It is a mixture of additional knowledge for you to work in sports industry.
However, since this is not a professional training degree leading to a certified qualification like physiotherapist, we do not offer hands-on training, so if you wish to continue with more hands-on training you may wish to consider MSc in physiotherapy, sports physiotherapy or sports rehabilitation programmes in other institutes.’

I hope that answers your question!

Vicky
Manishrana
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Vicky

Thanks a lot for a prompt reply. I was expecting that there probably might not be any Hands-on training. But then given my physio background I can definitely implement the 'learning' hand-on once I finish the program.

I feel Modules mentioned above and on University website are definitely relevant even to pursue a Physio career in a sports setup. More importantly I myself is more inclined towards learning Sports Science part. It was just that I had a feedback from some of friends that made me think upon.

Hope I am on the correct path.

Anyways, Thanks for your valued guidance.

Regards
Loughborough University
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi Vicky

Thanks a lot for a prompt reply. I was expecting that there probably might not be any Hands-on training. But then given my physio background I can definitely implement the 'learning' hand-on once I finish the program.

I feel Modules mentioned above and on University website are definitely relevant even to pursue a Physio career in a sports setup. More importantly I myself is more inclined towards learning Sports Science part. It was just that I had a feedback from some of friends that made me think upon.

Hope I am on the correct path.

Anyways, Thanks for your valued guidance.

Regards
Hi Manishrana

Always worth asking - it's a big investment so you want to make sure you've got it right.
Only you can decide if this is absolutely correct for you or not, but at least you have some feedback from the programme director and it'll enable you to compare with other unis you are thinking about.

Good luck with what you decide and we're always happy to help

Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads