The Student Room Group

Are iPhones any good?

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone. Several of my friends have one and there's a lot of things they can do that other phones can't. My girlfriend said you can facetime for free through this app and aren't iPhones the things you can get Siri on? Using Facebook and Instagram is quite annoying for me because I have to copy and paste emojis from Messenger, seeing as I can't use them in posts/messages. I'm not sure about which one get to yet but are they really worth getting? I just want to know before I make any rash decisions.

Scroll to see replies

Go Samsung.
Original post by Draconid
Go Samsung.

Ok I'll think about that one. Can they do the same things as iPhones?
Original post by iTzYoBoY
Ok I'll think about that one. Can they do the same things as iPhones?

Yeah, but you can't face time (that's an iPhone only feature,) however you can do wayyyyy more stuff on a Samsung compare to an iPhone, for example you have to buy songs through iTune on iPhone whereas on Samsung you can download them for free, a samsung is way more customisable and the app store is wayyy better, there are alot of reviews and comparisons and lots of youtube videos on this stuff, take a look at them and decide.
No - go Samsung
I don't like Samsung. I like LG. I also don't like Sony. But that's all unrelated to the post.

I personally like Android more though iOS does have its own advantages. eg. if your friends and loved ones have iOS, having an Android isn't as convenient (facetime).

Though there are dozens of apps on Android that achieve what you want to do. Skype for one. Though I have heard there are much better video-calling alternatives out there; Whatsapp maybe? I dunno; don't really use that feature in phones.

I personally prefer Whatsapp for text-based communications. It's also end-to-end encrypted but most people have (unencrypted) Cloud backups enabled which defeats the purpose of that. But again, different issue.

Ultimately you should get a device you feel more comfortable with. Just do your research on a phones' features and choose what you're comfortable with. Nobody can tell you what you would like more than an informed you.
This may be personal bias speaking but if I were you, I'd stick with Android. Emojis aren't a necessity for social media and you can video face-to-face on apps like Skype. However, if you're still considering getting one, take Algorithmic's advice.
I'm thinking about getting an iPhone. Several of my friends have one and there's a lot of things they can do that other phones can't. My girlfriend said you can facetime for free through this app and aren't iPhones the things you can get Siri on? Using Facebook and Instagram is quite annoying for me because I have to copy and paste emojis from Messenger, seeing as I can't use them in posts/messages. I'm not sure about which one get to yet but are they really worth getting? I just want to know before I make any rash decisions.

You don’t need an app to FaceTime, it comes with the iPhone. Yeah you get siri though you probably won’t use it much tbh. I think they’re worth getting. I have the 8 and I’m liking it. It can charge wirelessly. You can get an Apple Music membership for £10 a month (£5 if you’re a student) Emojis are way better on an iPhone too. When I upgraded (I had the 6s before the 8 came out) all I had to do was put the two phones close to each other and it transferred a lot of my details so I didn’t have to do it manually which I thought was pretty cool :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
The IOS system in Apple is more secure, so you are less likely to get hacked and your things stolen
Choose between an iPhone and a Samsung
I have used both before, but both have their pros and cons, currently am using an iPhone 8 but there are somethings I wish it would do but iPhones can’t same applies to Samsung.
But if u opting for a Samsung choose one of the latest they are somewhat better than iPhones, but for security, I phones are better
(edited 6 years ago)

Facetime and iMessage are good if you know a few people who also use iPhones, it's built in so no need to get them to sign up for another app etc. Siri is a bit of a gimmick, I never use it, in fact I think Google's voice assistant is better these days. I quite like mine though to be honest I don't have any experience with Android. Does your current phone not have the option to enable an emoji keyboard?
Hi I literally just swapped from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S7 and honestly prefer it way more, the battery lasts longer, the camera is better and is much more user friendly honestly don't bother w apple it's pretty overpriced for what it is
Original post by jameswhughes
Facetime and iMessage are good if you know a few people who also use iPhones, it's built in so no need to get them to sign up for another app etc. Siri is a bit of a gimmick, I never use it, in fact I think Google's voice assistant is better these days. I quite like mine though to be honest I don't have any experience with Android. Does your current phone not have the option to enable an emoji keyboard?

No it doesn't. I have a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and to access an emoji keyboard, I had to download it from Play Store and it was a right pain to use.
Although iPhones tend to me more expensive, they tend to be better optimised in their software, this means the actual OS is smooth and doesn’t bog down as quickly as i have experienced with Android phones.
No it doesn't. I have a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and to access an emoji keyboard, I had to download it from Play Store and it was a right pain to use.

Wow, that sounds like it’s a pretty basic phone. :lol:

On an iPhone it’s built in and easy to use. :smile:

>google keyboard

also fyi guys Google Duo does free video calls (like facetime) and can be downloaded from the playstore

also double fyi samsung isn't the only android phone maker out there lol
this thread hurts me
Apple slow down previous phones everytime they release a new one. Android dont
I don't like android but that is only because my first phone was a cheap android phone, and my second one is an iPhone 5s. :P
I’ve always used iPhones simply because they have an easy user-interface and sync automatically with my other devices. Samsung are better in many other ways and my ‘techy’ friends all insist Android is better than Apple, Samsung are also usually cheaper than iPhones

Quick Reply

Latest