The Student Room Group

Why is integration by substitution used here..

When Integrating this equation, why is substitution used and not integrating by parts?
xex2\int \:xe^{x^2}

And how can I identify when to use integrating by parts or Integration by substitution?
Original post by joyoustele
When Integrating this equation, why is substitution used and not integrating by parts?

And how can I identify when to use integrating by parts or Integration by substitution?

You won’t get anywhere with IBP (try it) and also upon inspection, we see that if we sub for x^2 then the derivative will be linear which would cancel the x next to e
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
You won’t get anywhere with IBP (try it) and also upon inspection, we see that if we sub for x^2 then the derivative will be linear which would cancel the x next to e

Okay, so in cases such as these step back and see which would be easiest to use, substitution or IBP.

Okay, so in cases such as these step back and see which would be easiest to use, substitution or IBP.

Yes. Without actually doing the IBP, you can tell it wont work because you can choose u=x and v’=e^x^2 but you do not know how to integrate v’. Switching the order, we can diff e^x^2 but we’ll keep integrating x to higher powers so we’ll only make the problem more complicated

I'm puzzled: why would you use a substitution? If you think about what ex2 e^{x^2} differentiates to, you can see that this is integragble by inspection.
Reply 5
Original post by Gregorius
I'm puzzled: why would you use a substitution? If you think about what ex2 e^{x^2} differentiates to, you can see that this is integragble by inspection.

I dont understand, Im sure I cannot just Isolate ex2 e^{x^2} on it's own when it is multiplied by an x x
(edited 6 years ago)
I dont understand, Im sure I cannot just Isolate ex2 e^{x^2} on it's own when it is multiplied by an x x

You misunderstand. What he's saying is that if you look at the derivative of ex2e^{x^2} you should notice that it's very similar to the expression you need to integrate, so just do a small change and you find your answer.
Reply 7

Consider the derivative of ex2e^{x^2} then work backwards.

Do you use inspection / pattern recognition when integrating? You can always use a substitution if you're not used to this kind of thinking, as long as you know what needs to be substituted.

What is the derivative of ex2e^{x^2}?

Hence, do you see how you can integrate your expression by inspection?
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
You misunderstand. What he's saying is that if you look at the derivative of ex2e^{x^2} you should notice that it's very similar to the expression you need to integrate, so just do a small change and you find your answer.

hmm Okay
One way to notice whether to use IBP or U-sub:

Notice if you consider any of the functions in the composite function, say f(x). If f'(x) cancels any other term - use U sub.

In this case

Notice if f(x)=x^2 then f'(x) = 2x which cancels nicely with the x term.
xex2dx\int \:xe^{x^2}dx

This is just
12f(x)ef(x)dx\frac{1}{2}\int \:f ' (x)e^{f(x)}dx you can use ibp if you want. (what's the derivative of e^(f(x))?)
Personally I'd use tabular integration, but I don't suppose school allow that kind of "cheating".
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest