Introduction sentence starters Watch

Tannus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm really struggling to come up with introduction for my essays. Does anyone have any good introduction sentences. The question I've been given is " Explain why the Conservatives dominated British politics from 1951 – 1964."

thanks
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I just introduce the topic, so I'd start by saying something like...

'The Conservative party were in government from 1951-64, winning 3 elections in this period. They had four different party leaders in this time - Churchill, Eden, MacMillan and Douglas-Home - who each served as Prime Minister.'

Then I'd introduce the possible different explanations for their dominance, so...

'Historians have offered many different explanations for the Conservatives' dominance of British politics in this period, including Factor X, Factor Y and Factor Z.'

Then, depending on whether your teacher/school like you to have a firm argument throughout or whether they only want you to choose the most important factor in the conclusion, you could say...

'In this essay, I will argue that Factor X was the primary reason, for reasons A and B.' (briefly outline your reasoning)
Or alternatively,
'In this essay, I will argue that Factors X, Y and Z all played a significant role, and their accumulative effect greatly increased the Conservatives' dominance in the years 1951-64.'

Just follow a formula like this each time, and they'll take you no time at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads