Clairemack7475
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Could someone answer if recent or old threads are supposedly 'closed', then why can someone still post on them? Close them off completely, instead of complaining if someone posts on one of these threads, and then lecturing them for doing so.....Thanks now 😉
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a Community Leader (basically a Section Moderator) for Curse. The concept of Moderation on any forum is the exact same so I'm going to explain it simply to you since you're clearly not getting the message. When a thread has had most of the useful discussion value that could ever come from it; it will naturally die out on it's own; being over time replaced in position by more recent, relevant discussion topics. The reason why it is the most irritating thing on this earth when people go back in time and then "gravedig" an older discussion is because parts of the discussion have ended, factors mentioned in those conversations will not be relevant.

For example someone who has made a thread about doing reverse around a corner in a 2015 driving thread holds no bearing in 2018, so if someone was to then to reply to it with "Hi I am struggling with the driving test can anyone help" the end result is old arguments being rekindled, old quotes being responded to despite the fact it's unlikely the writer of them even cares anymore and really what should have happened is a brand new discussion being made on a new thread. It's also annoying because people respond to an original poster who either got the answers they were looking for years ago; ie - if someone needed help with an insurance renewal back in March 2017 - since then they have likely already renewed their insurance; so re-bumping the thread thinking you're helpful actually makes more recent, immediate discussion that requires attention less visible (so it's also inconsiderate) or doesn't even visit the boards anymore; so you're just adding dead weight into the section.

Sure, Mods on any forum could just go back and lock everything that no longer holds relevance; but then again is it really too much to ask for someone to exercise a little personal judgement when responding to a thread from 2014? If you have a problem with Moderation; it's always best to contact the Moderator involved; because this thread on it's own is an excellent example of a waste of space and something that had better avenues where answers could have been explored.
Nil Admirari
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nevershear)
I'm a Community Leader (basically a Section Moderator) for Curse. The concept of Moderation on any forum is the exact same so I'm going to explain it simply to you since you're clearly not getting the message. When a thread has had most of the useful discussion value that could ever come from it; it will naturally die out on its' own; being over time replaced in position by more recent, relevant discussion topics. The reason why it is the most irritating thing on this earth when people go back in time and then "gravedig" an older discussion is because parts of the discussion have ended, factors mentioned in those conversations will not be relevant.

For example someone who has made a thread about doing reverse around a corner in a 2015 driving thread holds no bearing in 2018, so if someone was to then to reply to it with "Hi I am struggling with the driving test can anyone help" the end result is old arguments being rekindled, old quotes being responded to despite the fact it's unlikely the writer of them even cares anymore and really what should have happened is a brand new discussion being made on a new thread. It's also annoying because people respond to an original poster who either got the answers they were looking for years ago; ie - if someone needed help with an insurance renewal back in March 2017 - since then they have likely already renewed their insurance; so re-bumping the thread thinking you're helpful actually makes more recent, immediate discussion that requires attention less visible (so it's also inconsiderate) or doesn't even visit the boards anymore; so you're just adding dead weight into the section.

Sure, Mods on any forum could just go back and lock everything that no longer holds relevance; but then again is it really too much to ask for someone to exercise a little personal judgement when responding to a thread from 2014?
Name:  giphy.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  11.1 KB Mic Drop
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Clairemack7475)
Could someone answer if recent or old threads are supposedly 'closed', then why can someone still post on them? Close them off completely, instead of complaining if someone posts on one of these threads, and then lecturing them for doing so.....Thanks now 😉
I can see you've posted on 3 quite old threads, and I've closed them due to how old they are. If you want to get an answer to a question it's best you make a new thread, which'll get you more replies.

You can make a brand new thread in the Cars and motoring forum, here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/new...ewthread&f=183
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thread moved to TSR help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (628)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise