Student1237
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it possible to self study A levels without a distance learning or going to night classes. By this I mean buying the approved textbooks for my chosen exam board and then sitting the A levels in a test centre. Is this possible. I understand it can be hard but I’m willing to do it. I’ve taught myself how to code so I know I can self motivate.
belbxisi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I self studied statistics. No it is not difficult at all. In fact I believe it's more beneficial but of course you need more time. I tried taking classes but the tutor only teaches what the book provides and doesn't go more in depth, there's really more to it than just book material. So if you have enough time to prepare which should be at least more than one month then go for it. Just make sure you practice enough past papers as well.
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it depends which subject you want to do
Sciences are difficult because it is difficult to find an exam centre where you can do all the practicals for the practical endorsement and even if you find somewhere it will cost you loads
Any subjects with courses work is similar - you need a centre which can mark it for you and most won't
Subjects like maths are fairly straight forward
Essay based subjects might benefit from some work on exam technique with a tutor, or at least someone to mark past papers

Info here - http://he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What subjects are you thinking of? Some subjects are much harder to self-study than other, either because of the lack of specific textbooks or because the non-examination assessment (aka coursework) is very difficult to complete without a teacher and/or centre.
RuthieG101
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm self studying a level maths.
I had help to pay for an online course which I can get support from but after changing from pure maths they can't help with my new modules so I'm on my own for statistics and decision
Liamw1998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Student1237)
Is it possible to self study A levels without a distance learning or going to night classes. By this I mean buying the approved textbooks for my chosen exam board and then sitting the A levels in a test centre. Is this possible. I understand it can be hard but I’m willing to do it. I’ve taught myself how to code so I know I can self motivate.
I think it depends which A levels, any with course work and practical assessments would be much harder, but things like maths, people self teach all the time.
Student1237
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Liamw1998)
I think it depends which A levels, any with course work and practical assessments would be much harder, but things like maths, people self teach all the time.
Actually A level maths was the main one I was planning on self studying.
Liamw1998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Student1237)
Actually A level maths was the main one I was planning on self studying.
You can definitely self study that, I don’t have much knowledge about self studying other things, but things like chemistry where there’s a lot of practical work as well; I think it can cause a lot more complications
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.52%
I don't have everything I need (144)
42.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed