The Student Room Group

Gap year (job) or do I go to uni this year?

Hi everyone,
Ever since I was young I've wanted to work with children,
I then got onto a college course revolving around my loved topic.
I was succeeding well and then applied for uni, I've then got given an unconditional offer to be the first choice and I was over the moon. I then put Hope University as my firm choice and planned to go there to study Early Childhood and psychology in September 2018.
I've recently now been given a job opportunity local to me and I really want to take it as I would like to get out of my current job. It is working with children which I love to do. I am now questioning on whether I go to university this year or have a gap year? I want to go so bad but then worry about the difficulty of the work?
Any advice would be brilliant - Molly
Original post by mollcooper22
Hi everyone,
I was succeeding well and then applied for uni, I've then got given an unconditional offer to be the first choice and I was over the moon. I then put Hope University as my firm choice and planned to go there to study Early Childhood and psychology in September 2018.
I've recently now been given a job opportunity local to me and I really want to take it as I would like to get out of my current job. It is working with children which I love to do. I am now questioning on whether I go to university this year or have a gap year? I want to go so bad but then worry about the difficulty of the work?

If you've got the job chances are they believe you can do it and have the right skills and experience for it. The degree you can do later and it may just be that the degree formalises your learning and helps you get a qualification.
Original post by alleycat393
If you've got the job chances are they believe you can do it and have the right skills and experience for it. The degree you can do later and it may just be that the degree formalises your learning and helps you get a qualification.

I want to become a primary teacher, I know I must get a degree to do so, the job is not something I want to forever do. I am just debating on whether a year out to work would benefit me? or should I go study this sep?
I want to become a primary teacher, I know I must get a degree to do so, the job is not something I want to forever do. I am just debating on whether a year out to work would benefit me? or should I go study this sep?

Only you can decide if the job will benefit you. Will you gain relevant skills and experience from it?
Hi everyone,

Hi mollcooper22,

Congratulations on your unconditional offer that's fantastic. And a further congratulations on your job offer what brilliant news :clap2:
First of all I think you should be very proud of yourself whatever you decide to do and certainly your future prospects are looking bright!
It may be possible to defer your offer for a year but of course this would be something you would need to discuss with the admissions team. I will send you a private message with their details in case you do consider this as an option.

Of course no one can really tell you what to decide here but I'm sure you will decide on what is best for you :smile:

I hope this helps but of course if you have any concerns or questions please do feel free to give me a shout.

Ruth
Gap years are a great break from studying and way to make some savings for uni, I learnt to drive in mine and worked at a local supermarket. Never had to go into an overdraft! :smile:
If they’ve offered you an unconditional, see if they’ll defer it a year for you
Reply 7
Hi everyone,

Do you need anything before you go uni? Such as a car? Want to go on a holiday? If you have a reason to take a gap year then go for it but if not then i don’t see the point of delaying the start of your university?

Quick Reply