?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the basic aim of economics
Zach3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To solve the 'basic economic problem' which is scarcity. Wants in the world are infinite but resources are scarce. In a free market economy these resources are allocated through the market mechanism.

The A level is great (if that's what you're thinking of taking), but it's no substitute for Maths A level.
The Financier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This isn't a post-graduate question lmao.

(Original post by Zach3)
To solve the 'basic economic problem' which is scarcity. Wants in the world are infinite but resources are scarce. In a free market economy these resources are allocated through the market mechanism.

The A level is great (if that's what you're thinking of taking), but it's no substitute for Maths A level.
There is of course a reason why many Econ degrees require A-Level Maths, but whilst Econ is no substitute for Maths, neither is Maths for Econ. You get a different set of skills, especially with regards to essay writing and communication of theory and ideas.
username3718454
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Economics is basically a way of thinking about how we should best allocate resources. Whether we're talking about individuals, firms, governments or nations (all of which can be considered economic agents), each of us are constrained by budgets (incomes, tax revenues, profits etc.) of some kind. Economics is basically a discipline which analyses how we should best allocate our budgets to maximise our utility (or satisfaction).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (454)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (428)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (145)
4.73%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6.06%
Loneliness (264)
8.6%
Financial worries (111)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (140)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (270)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (288)
9.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise