This discussion is closed.
Fointy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How did everyone find it?

I don't think it went too bad. Probably lost a couple of marks still. And I'm now not too sure about my answer to the string tension question near the end where the string goes round a peg. I think I got an answer of T = 2mg. No one who took at at my school seemed to get a common answer to this q.
xMiss_Sarahx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My mind completely blanked about 15mins into the exam.

I didn't end up with an answer for that question.
I couldn't for the life of me remember how to work out T when the particle's at the top.
Hobnob123
Report 11 years ago
I got T=2mg for that question as well.
I also remember getting a root(15mg/2) as well as a root (17mg/2) for some other question.
I thought it was easier than it could have been..
Fointy
Rep:
?
Yaaaay! That's made me happy. Everyone else I've asked all had different answers. Hopefully its not just you and me that put 2mg

Yeah the paper was definitely easier than some others I think. Didn't have any question involving integration, nor any "find the total distance traveled in the first 20 seconds" questions.

Some answers I think I can remember:
first Q resolving forces and elastic) angle = 60 degrees

F(x) question 2) x = 2/3 m when v=0

Elastic string on slope question): V=ag/2 something like that
and then the V at string was slack something like ... actually I've forgotton. May have had a 3/4 term in it...

Car round a banked surface) max v = 35.5 m/s

Circular motion question) last part T = 2mg at C

Final question SHM) total time was 2(time to go from B to E) + (time to go from E upwards with string slack, back to E) = around 1.something seconds.
marbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fointy)
Final question SHM) total time was 2(time to go from B to E) + (time to go from E upwards with string slack, back to E) = around 1.something seconds.
When you say "E" do you mean the natural length or the equilibrium point?

And what did people get for the coefficient of friction (the 10 mark question)? I got a surd that I don't remember, but my decimal value was 0.18(2sf). But the other girl who took it got something different...
Ignore the above ...I'm confusing M2.:rolleyes:
Fointy
Rep:
?
I mean the natural length. I'm worried what I wrote in the exam now tho.
Secret_F
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think i got some thing very similar, though made a very stupid mistake took the wrong extension of that string on the slop question.. aparently every one in my school found hard other then me and this other guy.. that got me worried

i had M2 stright after M3 so i couldn't remember any question that is on the M3 exam
xinolisss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The tension was in fact 2mg, I thought that was a pretty well thought question, never seen that in all the past papers i've done, and also I found M3 easier than M2, or at least I got more in M3 than M2 as I know now since I did the exam paper twice to compare my answers with my teacher's.
That last question about the time taken for it to reach B, so I think I did twice the time for it to reach equilibrium level, plus the time of the projectile motion from equilibrium level to it's highest point and back. I think the answer gave 1.09 seconds or something like that.
the rest of the answers Fointy pointed out are all correct compared with mine, not sure about these though "root(15mg/2) as well as a root (17mg/2)", but I thought it was a pretty good paper, better than M2, where I lost some stupid 3 marks for the stupid part b) of the vectors question and I put the sign the wrong way i put e> 0.25 stupidddd , but still an A in A level mathematics, in fact i think i could've got an A even if I had had 0 UMS on M2 which was apparently my last A2 paper jeje
Secret_F
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ show off ... so you are doing mac eng next year
I no longer need to do any maths any more. Which is great
xinolisss
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
show off why? it's true thou ...
Hobnob123
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fointy)
Some answers I think I can remember:
first Q resolving forces and elastic) angle = 60 degrees
Lambda was 49N right?
so:

Wasn't it mg=Tsin(theta)
2g=((49x0.32)/0.4)sin(theta)
sin(theta) = 1/2
theta = 30 degrees?

Don't worry if you can't remember...
Fointy
Rep:
?
I'm not sure about that but I'm pretty certain I got 60 degrees to the downward vertical.
Hobnob123
Report 11 years ago
Grrrr, 60 degrees is right because its Tcos(theta).

I've probably lost 30 ums worth of stupid mistakes.
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's 2008 now by the way, good maths skills.
Fointy
Rep:
?
whatevaaaa

thats not maths
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't think I did too badly in the paper despite a few nerves to begin with , which was oddly because I was the only person in the room doing a paper at that time.

The first three questions were fairly straightforward I found , but the fourth one I didn't like so much.It was rather like the conservation of energy question that threw me on M2 last summer (if it weren't for that I'd have got 100%).I still managed to dig out an answer to both parts although I know I got the second part wrong - had to do that on another sheet as I ran out of space.The fifth one was quite straightforward , for part b) you need to resolve down wards to get something like 15mg/2 , and part c needed resolving horizontally to get the velocity.I now know I got the last part of 6 wrong in some way , my answer was a bit more than 2g.As for the final question that was rather straightforward asides from the last part where I double-counted the time taken when oscillating downwards....
Secret_F
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xinolisss)
show off why? it's true thou ...
haha, i can say that i don't needs to work for the rest of the year and still get into my dream course at my dream uni
xinolisss
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
whys that? what uni?
Secret_F
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
UCL for architecture beats Cambridge
collingwood07
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone have the mark scheme for M3 solomon paper A?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed