The Student Room Group

IBMS accredited or a research uni?

So I've sent off my ucas with all my courses being biomedical science. I chose unis who's courses were accredited by IBMS and weren't too far from home. But to be fair these unis aren't the top unis aka Russell group ( trent, hallam, aston etc..) They're more of ex-poly's.
So the only other option left is adjustment on results day in which I could choose another course at a uni if higher than expected.
So should I be happy with my choices due to the fact they're accredited by IBMS and HCPC and could get me into NHS which subsequently opens a gateway to loads of careers, or try applying for a course in biomed at a 'better' uni by adjustments without being accredited by IBMS
Original post by Saad333
So I've sent off my ucas with all my courses being biomedical science. I chose unis who's courses were accredited by IBMS and weren't too far from home. But to be fair these unis aren't the top unis aka Russell group ( trent, hallam, aston etc..) They're more of ex-poly's.
So the only other option left is adjustment on results day in which I could choose another course at a uni if higher than expected.
So should I be happy with my choices due to the fact they're accredited by IBMS and HCPC and could get me into NHS which subsequently opens a gateway to loads of careers, or try applying for a course in biomed at a 'better' uni by adjustments without being accredited by IBMS

What do you want to do career wise?
I personally want to be a clinical researcher rather than a NHS biomedical scientist so chose to apply for those research unis.
Original post by YouMadBro!
I personally want to be a clinical researcher rather than a NHS biomedical scientist so chose to apply for those research unis.

Then applying for IBMS-accredited courses is pretty pointless.

Note of point, courses aren't accredited by the HCPC. The sole point of IBMS-accreditation is as a requirement for HCPC registration. As such, any IBMS-accredited course is suitable for HCPC registration, but it is far from the only requirement and for any budding Biomedical Scientists, BSc Biomedical Science is a rather indirect route.
Original post by TraineeBMS
Then applying for IBMS-accredited courses is pretty pointless.

Note of point, courses aren't accredited by the HCPC. The sole point of IBMS-accreditation is as a requirement for HCPC registration. As such, any IBMS-accredited course is suitable for HCPC registration, but it is far from the only requirement and for any budding Biomedical Scientists, BSc Biomedical Science is a rather indirect route.

Yeah, I chose a course that was accredited by the royal society of biology.
Original post by YouMadBro!
Yeah, I chose a course that was accredited by the royal society of biology.

Which equally mean very little.
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
What do you want to do career wise?

Weird enough I still am unsure as I've come across that once gained a degree, a lot of careers that aren't related to biomed are open
So yeah would appreciate any recommendations employability-wise
Original post by Saad333
Weird enough I still am unsure as I've come across that once gained a degree, a lot of careers that aren't related to biomed are open
So yeah would appreciate any recommendations employability-wise

Well whether you need an accredited degree or not will depend on whether you want to work in the NHS or not. Equally a more research focused degree will help you with research careers in the future so you do need to have an idea of where you are heading first.
It's worth noting that not all BSc Biomedical Science courses are really that research based. They're often a middle ground where they're just really getting you to grips with the basics of the area.
Original post by Saad333

Hey,

As others have said, whether you'll need your IBMS accreditation might depend on what you want to do in the future.

As for the issue of ex-polys and Russell Group universities, remember that rating and ranking isn't everything! Each university has a different course with different approaches and modules, they will have different facilities, and different positives to offer you. I'd suggest looking at the actual universities and figuring out where you'd feel most at home, where you'd have the most fun (as your overall uni experience will contribute to how well you do in your studies), and other aspects of the university that are important to you.

I'm a third year student at Sheffield Hallam, and though I originally applied to Russell Group unis, I've found that there's lots of things a more modern university can offer to their students! For example, Sheffield Hallam has an amazing careers and employability centre that help with CVs, internships, summer programmes, placements and graduate jobs. The courses often offer placements - bearing in mind that employers value experience over university ranking - and there are many ways to access support in different areas from academic support to wellbeing support. From what I've heard about nearby universities which have 'better' academic rankings, they aren't offered this level of support personally, academically or career-wise. These are really important things to consider.

Since you've applied to Hallam, let me know if you have any more questions about what it's like here.

Hopefully this helped you to think about your decisions!

Ellie
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey,

As others have said, whether you'll need your IBMS accreditation might depend on what you want to do in the future.

As for the issue of ex-polys and Russell Group universities, remember that rating and ranking isn't everything! Each university has a different course with different approaches and modules, they will have different facilities, and different positives to offer you. I'd suggest looking at the actual universities and figuring out where you'd feel most at home, where you'd have the most fun (as your overall uni experience will contribute to how well you do in your studies), and other aspects of the university that are important to you.

I'm a third year student at Sheffield Hallam, and though I originally applied to Russell Group unis, I've found that there's lots of things a more modern university can offer to their students! For example, Sheffield Hallam has an amazing careers and employability centre that help with CVs, internships, summer programmes, placements and graduate jobs. The courses often offer placements - bearing in mind that employers value experience over university ranking - and there are many ways to access support in different areas from academic support to wellbeing support. From what I've heard about nearby universities which have 'better' academic rankings, they aren't offered this level of support personally, academically or career-wise. These are really important things to consider.

Since you've applied to Hallam, let me know if you have any more questions about what it's like here.

Ellie

Original post by SHUGURU
Hey,

Ellie

Hi Ellie, can I ask you some questions about SHU ?
Please don't revive old threads in this manner. You can contact said poster that you wish to speak to directly.
Original post by THAT___1___GUY

Heya, I'm just going to tag in @Sheffield Hallam University as they can answer your questions :smile: However this thread is really old so it's better to ask them a new question in the sheffield hallam university forum here.

Hi @THAT___1___GUY

What can we help you with?

Thanks,
Helen

Quick Reply

Latest