The Student Room Group

Am I too late for a placement year?

I have been applying to placement year/industrial placement roles within Accounting and Finance since September last year, and despite several video interviews and "we'll be in contact closer to the assessment centre" emails, I have yet to be offered a job - and I've only been to one assessment centre for which I (obviously) didn't end up getting the job.

Loads of opportunities are now closed and I'm worried I'm not going to find anything and have to drop back down to a 3 year course - does anyone have a similar experience?

For reference I study Business Management at Swansea Uni and got A,B,D at A Level.
Original post by sophie_ventures
I have been applying to placement year/industrial placement roles within Accounting and Finance since September last year, and despite several video interviews and "we'll be in contact closer to the assessment centre" emails, I have yet to be offered a job - and I've only been to one assessment centre for which I (obviously) didn't end up getting the job.

Loads of opportunities are now closed and I'm worried I'm not going to find anything and have to drop back down to a 3 year course - does anyone have a similar experience?

For reference I study Business Management at Swansea Uni and got A,B,D at A Level.

Hi Sophie

I can assure you that you still have loads of time to find a placement.

I'm a third year business management and marketing student on a placement year at the moment and totally understand that it is a really fustrating process but you have to just keep applying! I didn't have my job confirmed until June so don't give up :smile:

Thinking about it now, I think I must have applied to over 50 positions so it is a massively time-consuming process but I can safely say that it's totally worth it once you get a job.

Does your university have any employability teams in place to help you search for a placement? If so, try and use them as much as possible even if it is to help you refine your CV, cover letter or to help you prepare for assessment centres.

Give me a shout if I can help any further :smile:

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest