sophie_ventures
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been applying to placement year/industrial placement roles within Accounting and Finance since September last year, and despite several video interviews and "we'll be in contact closer to the assessment centre" emails, I have yet to be offered a job - and I've only been to one assessment centre for which I (obviously) didn't end up getting the job.

Loads of opportunities are now closed and I'm worried I'm not going to find anything and have to drop back down to a 3 year course - does anyone have a similar experience?

For reference I study Business Management at Swansea Uni and got A,B,D at A Level.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sophie_ventures)
I have been applying to placement year/industrial placement roles within Accounting and Finance since September last year, and despite several video interviews and "we'll be in contact closer to the assessment centre" emails, I have yet to be offered a job - and I've only been to one assessment centre for which I (obviously) didn't end up getting the job.

Loads of opportunities are now closed and I'm worried I'm not going to find anything and have to drop back down to a 3 year course - does anyone have a similar experience?

For reference I study Business Management at Swansea Uni and got A,B,D at A Level.
Hey!

I'm so sorry you are having a difficult time finding a placement, it can be quite tough and stressful as competition gets more and more intense. Even though you might think it's too late, it's actually not! Only a few people actually manage to get a placement offer before Christmas as the majority gets an offer during spring, so don't lose your hope!

Seek guidance and help from your placements officers, they know best how to deal with these situations in order to maximise your potential! They have a lot of experience and they are always ready to offer advice regarding CVs and cover letters. I'm sure your university also has a career service which could help you with the interviews. Practice a lot of interview questions and continue to improve yourself, believe in yourself, you still have time!

Best of luck!

Elena
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sophie_ventures)

Hey!

I also study Management and am in the same position as you - I have been searching for a while (mostly for Marketing/PR roles) and I have only been invited to video interview in the past week. But I know at Bath, like Elena said, only a minority of people secure one before Christmas.

Finding a placement can be stressful and take up a lot of time, I am now surrounded by friends who have secured themselves one and I am yet to attend an assessment centre! But try not to worry, there are new placements coming out all the time - if you haven't already signed up, I know RateMyPlacement, Milkround and Target Jobs advertise a lot but don't forget about Indeed - I see a lot on here as well.

Trying to get a placement really does test your perseverance and I'm definitely learning to deal with rejection - there are times you feel disheartened often because companies don't get back to you or reject you without feedback, but I think it is all good experience of learning how to pick ourselves back up, as hard as it is!

I am sure you will find the right one for you - just keep trying and don't be afraid to ask your uni for help.

Alice
fairplaytoyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Speaking from someone in the same position as you and also studying BaM - no I don't think you're too late at all!

Many roles are still open and I still see new ones being advertised and put up on websites as mentioned above such as RateMyPlacement (probably the most useful website so far as you can shortlist a bunch of roles and then apply in your free time). I personally started applying in mid-October and still haven't secured one, although like you I'm waiting for a combination of online test and video interview results, and also waiting to hear back from 2 companies final stage interviews - so you're definitely not in a disadvantage at all!

My advice would be to start looking at summer internships - just in case you don't get a placement. Keep persevering though, and I really hope you get one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads