The Student Room Group

Hey, I need some help.

For my History A2 individual assignment, I'm doing the question 'To what extent were military factors the main reason for American withdrawal from Vietnam?'

I was wondering if any of you wonderful people could help me out with finding some historians with differing view.

I tried, but as I tend to be a pretty awful student, I don't even really know about the generally accepted views, let alone revisionism and the like.

Whatev'.
:tsr2:
Reply 1
SteveP
For my History A2 individual assignment, I'm doing the question 'To what extent were military factors the main reason for American withdrawal from Vietnam?'

I was wondering if any of you wonderful people could help me out with finding some historians with differing view.

I tried, but as I tend to be a pretty awful student, I don't even really know about the generally accepted views, let alone revisionism and the like.

Whatev'.
:tsr2:

If you still want them, here they are. I cant remember all of them for I did this around a year ago, but this is what I can remember:

*Hearts and minds, the vietnamese people by the ending of the conflict did not want to see the American soldiers in Vietnam. Civilians were killed in their millions which increase in hostility towards the Americans. Look at Napalm and its use.

*This would have then contributed to the morale of the troops which was often low. Soldiers would often suffer from severe injuries but also mental illnesses such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which crippled them.

*The Home front. The growing opposition to the war was growing throughout the 1960s. Many students were demonstrating against this. They were from different backgrounds such as we see famous black figureheads (such as Martin Luther King JR) speaking out against the war. This would have weakenned the morale of the soldiers, many of whom were struggling and often on drugs. The home front no longer looked at the civil rights movement as its main campaign and many students who were dedicated to this cause joined the Anti Vietnam war marches. Therefore making the war always appear in the public eye.

*For the first time, cameras were able to enter the war zone. Therefore showing war for the horror it was. Many journalists by the end of the War, whom were pro war to begin with had changed their minds.

*Kissenger. Did he play an important role in negotiating?

*The vietcong were far more experienced in fighting within Vietnam. They had by the end of the conflict created a series of tunnells and passage ways therefore protecting the civilians from harm and supporting themselves. They were used to a hard lifestyle for they lived years in the forests unlike the soldiers who were taken back to Japan and the states for 'recouperation'.

* Nixon. Why was it only under Nixon we see the withdrawal of troops from Vietnam. The conflict had gone on for years and years, surely the president who broughts troops out of vietnam wanted something different?

Sorry if that doesnt help you completely.

- Starchild

Latest

Trending

Trending