The Student Room Group

UK citizen returning to UK

My son is 17 years old, he is returning this year to UK to live with his father and to study at the University. He is a British Citizen; my son and I left UK about 6 years ago to live in my home country Brazil, when his father and I decided to separated and after sometime we divorced.
I would like to know if my son would be eligible for student Finance / Tuition Fee loan or any finance help from the academic year of 2018. Thanks for your help!
Original post by Jurezende
My son is 17 years old, he is returning this year to UK to live with his father and to study at the University. He is a British Citizen; my son and I left UK about 6 years ago to live in my home country Brazil, when his father and I decided to separated and after sometime we divorced.
I would like to know if my son would be eligible for student Finance / Tuition Fee loan or any finance help from the academic year of 2018. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jurezende,

In order to qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, they must meet the following standard residency requirements:

UK National

Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

As your sons has not been resident in the UK/EU he does not meet the standard residency requirements.
Depending on the circumstances he may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. Students will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

What could be classed as a temporary break?

Gap Year

Holiday

Voluntary Work overseas

Working for HM Armed Forces

Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

We would require students to provide evidence of their break in residency and to prove that it was of a temporary nature.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply Louise!
Just to explain a bit more about the circumstances.. my son came to live with me in Brazil in 2010 because his was a child and I had his custody from the divorce. Also, from the list you sent with regards what would be consider as a temporary break: I have been working in Brazil for the same company that I was working in UK, but in a permanent position, because I was transferred from the UK office to the Brazilian one. Do you thing that could be accept as a break?

Thanks again!
Thanks for your reply Louise!
Just to explain a bit more about the circumstances.. my son came to live with me in Brazil in 2010 because his was a child and I had his custody from the divorce. Also, from the list you sent with regards what would be consider as a temporary break: I have been working in Brazil for the same company that I was working in UK, but in a permanent position, because I was transferred from the UK office to the Brazilian one. Do you thing that could be accept as a break?

Thanks again!

Hi Jurezende,

If you were based abroad with a UK company, SFE would look to deem this is a temporary. the type of evidence needed would be:

-Employment contract showing employment by said UK company but based in Brazil.

-A clause in the contract showing repatriation on completion of work or termination of contract.

-Visas confirming entry for work reasons.

I appreciate that this is quite a bit of information so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 4
Thank you John for your reply with the additional information! The problem could be I´m in a permanent position in Brazil, however, I´ll see what documentation detailed the company that I work can provide me with. Any further questions I’ll get back to you.

Also, I was thinking, if my son could not get finance support for a University course, how about the community colleges in UK? If he goes to a preparation course and perhaps gets some credits for Uni. As a UK Citizen does he still need to pay for the tuition fees in a Community College?

Thanks again.

Juliana
Thank you John for your reply with the additional information! The problem could be I´m in a permanent position in Brazil, however, I´ll see what documentation detailed the company that I work can provide me with. Any further questions I’ll get back to you.

Also, I was thinking, if my son could not get finance support for a University course, how about the community colleges in UK? If he goes to a preparation course and perhaps gets some credits for Uni. As a UK Citizen does he still need to pay for the tuition fees in a Community College?

Thanks again.

Juliana

Thanks Juliana.

You would need to discuss with the Colleges their own funding options.

-Shaun.
Reply 6
Hi John,I got a letter from the company that I work for, with the follow information:
“I confirm that xxxxxx was employed by XXXXXX in the United Kingdom from June 2008 to November 2010. In November 2010 she left the United Kingdom to transfer to XXXXXXX in Sao Paulo, Brazil where she remains employed. She is no longer employed by any UK entity of the Company.
Do you think SFE would accept this letter as an evidence of my work abroad for my son´s application, who is backing to UK?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi John,I got a letter from the company that I work for, with the follow information:
“I confirm that xxxxxx was employed by XXXXXX in the United Kingdom from June 2008 to November 2010. In November 2010 she left the United Kingdom to transfer to XXXXXXX in Sao Paulo, Brazil where she remains employed. She is no longer employed by any UK entity of the Company.
Do you think SFE would accept this letter as an evidence of my work abroad for my son´s application, who is backing to UK?

Hi Julianna,

While I can't give a definite answer as it must be reviewed by an assessor. It's unlikely SFE would accept that letter as it doesn't confirm that the employment in Sao Paulo or that you've maintained a link to the UK.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 8
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Julianna,

While I can't give a definite answer as it must be reviewed by an assessor. It's unlikely SFE would accept that letter as it doesn't confirm that the employment in Sao Paulo or that you've maintained a link to the UK.

Kind regards,

John.

Thanks for your reply John!

My company`s HR in UK said:

“we can confirm your employment between 2008-2010 but since 2010 you have not been employed by XX in the UK, you remain an employee of the Company in Brazil. As a result you do not work for a UK company and there is limited information we can provide.

Shall I ask for a complement letter for the HR in Brazil? Confirming my employment in Sao Paulo/Brazil since I left UK?

Thanks again for the advice!

Thanks again.

Juliana

Hi Juliana,

If it is a public funded college in the UK it is likely that there will still have to be some tuition fees to pay.

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending