Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Next year I either want to take English Language, sociology, psychology, English Lit, Spanish and Biology. (I want to do 3) Can anyone help me on what a levels are enjoyable even if they are a lot of work?? Would you recommend?? Which a levels would be the best combination out of these?? My predicted grades for these subjects are:

Biology-7
Spanish-6
Sociology-A
English Lit-7/8
English Lang-7/8
(Don’t do psychology gcse)

Thankyou!!
TODTEMPLE01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beth286)
Next year I either want to take English Language, sociology, psychology, English Lit, Spanish and Biology. (I want to do 3) Can anyone help me on what a levels are enjoyable even if they are a lot of work?? Would you recommend?? Which a levels would be the best combination out of these?? My predicted grades for these subjects are:

Biology-7
Spanish-6
Sociology-A
English Lit-7/8
English Lang-7/8

Thankyou!!
I'm in year 12 and studying chem, bio and spanish and want to do medicine at uni. Spanish is very heavily based on hispanic culture rather than the language in itself (obviously there is still a BIG emphasis on the language). It's also very different to GCSE in that everything you do will be in Spanish and speaking English is almost a no-go. However, you do notice that your abilities accelerate very quickly.

Bio is quite a good course but I guess I'm probably a bit biased because I want to be doing medicine. It covers GCSE topics but in mucher greater detail. Also, there is a lot of content to learn, but it's not particularly difficult content in my opinion compared to chemistry.

I know it's not on your list, but I also really enjoy chemistry (more than bio and spanish). Like I said, chemistry I reckon has less content but the content that is there is a lot more complex.

As with the other subjects, I can't help you there but hope this helps!

Lastly, knowing what you want to do after A-levels would help us help you.
Sam.T.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Biology-7
Spanish-6
Sociology-A
English Lit-7/8
English Lang-7/8

Thankyou!!
Have you got any plans for what you want to do after your A-Level, such as University. If so what course do you want to take
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by TODTEMPLE01)
I'm in year 12 and studying chem, bio and spanish and want to do medicine at uni. Spanish is very heavily based on hispanic culture rather than the language in itself (obviously there is still a BIG emphasis on the language). It's also very different to GCSE in that everything you do will be in Spanish and speaking English is almost a no-go. However, you do notice that your abilities accelerate very quickly.

Bio is quite a good course but I guess I'm probably a bit biased because I want to be doing medicine. It covers GCSE topics but in mucher greater detail.

I know it's not on your list, but I also really enjoy chemistry (more than bio and spanish).

As with the other subjects, I can't help you there but hope this helps!
I’m not too keen on chemistry as I can’t even handle it at gcse haha, I got a 4 in the the moc as I didn’t revise however I still passed which was good as I didn’t put in much effort. My strongest ability by far is the writing as I got 40/50 in my writing moc, whereas on listening and reading I got 12 and 15 our of 50. Do you enjoy Spanish?? I don’t really like it at gcse however I think I will at a level and want to be a Spanish translator or private tutor etc. It has helped thankyou
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam.T.)
Have you got any plans for what you want to do after your A-Level, such as University. If so what course do you want to take
I have a few ideas in mind (very different) English teacher, psychologist, Spanish tutor, immunologist.
TODTEMPLE01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m not too keen on chemistry as I can’t even handle it at gcse haha, I got a 4 in the the moc as I didn’t revise however I still passed which was good as I didn’t put in much effort. My strongest ability by far is the writing as I got 40/50 in my writing moc, whereas on listening and reading I got 12 and 15 our of 50. Do you enjoy Spanish?? I don’t really like it at gcse however I think I will at a level and want to be a Spanish translator or private tutor etc. It has helped thankyou
I really enjoy Spanish but I have got 2 Spanish teachers who teach me who are really enthusiastic. Also, we've only got a class of 2 and I get on really well with the other person in my class. A couple of the topics that we've done are a bit dull (I mean we're learning the history of the tango and we've done the history of the spanish guitar and flamenco) but the rest of the topics seem to be good. The speaking exam at the end of my course is 20 minutes though :eek:

Well done on your writing part in the mocks as well! That score looks great! That will definitely help or A-level but the writings are a bit different to GCSE. You've got translations and then the book and film that you have to analyse. That part's kind of like English Lit but in Spanish so you might enjoy that.
Beth286
Rep:
?
I really enjoy Spanish but I have got 2 Spanish teachers who teach me who are really enthusiastic. Also, we've only got a class of 2 and I get on really well with the other person in my class. A couple of the topics that we've done are a bit dull (I mean we're learning the history of the tango and we've done the history of the spanish guitar and flamenco) but the rest of the topics seem to be good. The speaking exam at the end of my course is 20 minutes though :eek:
Speaking is by far my worst, I’m really good when talking by myself however when I have to go in the room with an invigilator I have full on panic attacks cause I get so nervous and anxious, then when I actually go in there I don’t put the Spanish accent on as I fear being judged. It sounds stupid but I annoy myself with how unconfident I am!! Woah, class of 2?! You must be amazing as you get so much help and attention if you’re stuck!!
meganmieke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took A level Biology for the first half of my first year of college. I had to drop it because the new specification meant that A Level Maths was needed to understand the modules.

Sociology is good to help you understand the wider world and adult society. It has helped me understand the world I will enter after college.
TODTEMPLE01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speaking is by far my worst, I’m really good when talking by myself however when I have to go in the room with an invigilator I have full on panic attacks cause I get so nervous and anxious, then when I actually go in there I don’t put the Spanish accent on as I fear being judged. It sounds stupid but I annoy myself with how unconfident I am!! Woah, class of 2?! You must be amazing as you get so much help and attention if you’re stuck!!
I definitely know that feeling with the speaking but my logic was that after 2 years of nothing but speaking and listening in Spanish each lesson, I thought maybe those nerves might disappear. Also, in regard to the Spanish accent, don't be afraid to give it a go! Even just after the 4 months I've spent doing Spanish, I now find it ridiculously hard to speak Spanish without an accent and trust me, no-one will judge you for the accent. It's a pretty cool skill as well to be able to talk to the people in your class outside of lessons without anyone else in the school knowing what you're saying. My friend and I are often speaking to one another in Spanish and it's hilarious looking at everyone else trying to figure out what we're saying
username3610756
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Biology-7
Spanish-6
Sociology-A
English Lit-7/8
English Lang-7/8

Thankyou!!
Im currently in Year 12 and studying Spanish, English Lit and Psychology. Im really enjoying all of these subjects particularly psychology as its very interesting. Since the beginning of the year Spanish has had the biggest work load by far with the never ending stream of vocab and grammar work.

I was going to do Biology instead of English Lit but I'm glad I swapped in the end as I felt that English would be more useful to me in the future. My results in both at GCSE were pretty good with two 8s in English and an A in Biology but the high grade in English made me realise that Im better at it than I thought. (it really is essential to do something that you know you're reasonably good at because it usually means you'll enjoy it more too)

I would advise taking psychology as its quite broad and English Lit. (my school didn't offer Lang as an A-level- possibly because its not as well respected as Lit (?) IMO English Lit is more interesting than Lang anyway)

It also never hurts to do a language if you have a flair for it- remember that many people don't have a language even at GCSE so in some ways it can give you a competitive edge.
Beth286
Rep:
?
I definitely know that feeling with the speaking but my logic was that after 2 years of nothing but speaking and listening in Spanish each lesson, I thought maybe those nerves might disappear. Also, in regard to the Spanish accent, don't be afraid to give it a go! Even just after the 4 months I've spent doing Spanish, I now find it ridiculously hard to speak Spanish without an accent and trust me, no-one will judge you for the accent. It's a pretty cool skill as well to be able to talk to the people in your class outside of lessons without anyone else in the school knowing what you're saying. My friend and I are often speaking to one another in Spanish and it's hilarious looking at everyone else trying to figure out what we're saying
That sounds amazing haha!! What did you get at GCSEs in Spanish and biology??
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1mmy)
Im currently in Year 12 and studying Spanish, English Lit and Psychology. Im really enjoying all of these subjects particularly psychology as its very interesting. Since the beginning of the year Spanish has had the biggest work load by far with the never ending stream of vocab and grammar work.

I was going to do Biology instead of English Lit but I'm glad I swapped in the end as I felt that English would be more useful to me in the future. My results in both at GCSE were pretty good with two 8s in English and an A in Biology but the high grade in English made me realise that Im better at it than I thought. (it really is essential to do something that you know you're reasonably good at because it usually means you'll enjoy it more too)

I would advise taking psychology as its quite broad and English Lit. (my school didn't offer Lang as an A-level- possibly because its not as well respected as Lit (?) IMO English Lit is more interesting than Lang anyway)

It also never hurts to do a language if you have a flair for it- remember that many people don't have a language even at GCSE so in some ways it can give you a competitive edge.
Yeah I guess so, I’m thinking maybe Spanish psychology and English Lit aswell or biology depends on results day. How much daily does it take of your time? Can you complete all your work in your frees or not?? Also is it fairly bearable to take these 3 subjects together ??
TODTEMPLE01
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sounds amazing haha!! What did you get at GCSEs in Spanish and biology??
I got A* in both of them. What do you personally want to get?
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Biology-7
Spanish-6
Sociology-A
English Lit-7/8
English Lang-7/8

Thankyou!!
I would suggest doing the subjects which are similar; I take psychology, sociology and health and social because they link very well and overlap jn areas (so revision is amazing!) whereas others take psychology with biology, as it links there or psychology and english (language I think), again because it links well! which is always a plus
But doing a language could also be very useful, especially on your cv...
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
psychology, eng lit and bio sound like a really good combo -- maybe add spanish as ur fourth i do sociology right now and it's quite easy...not interesting for me tho
username2953756
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English Language, Psychology and Sociology are a good combination, especially if you’re thinking of become a teacher or something related to psychology e.g clinical psychologist.
Beth286
Rep:
?
I got A* in both of them. What do you personally want to get?
Aiming for a 7 in Spanish and an 8 in combined science (I stupidly put no effort in my year 9 exams therefore am in average sets for everything with all the new/bad teachers) but it just makes me more determined to try harder and prove that I can get jut as good grade as someone in a higher set.
username3610756
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I guess so, I’m thinking maybe Spanish psychology and English Lit aswell or biology depends on results day. How much daily does it take of your time? Can you complete all your work in your frees or not?? Also is it fairly bearable to take these 3 subjects together ??
I spend most of my time doing Spanish work which I most definitely cannot finish in my frees so I'd say at least 2 hours on Spanish a day. In terms of psychology and English you need to do extra reading to stay on top of grades particular for contextual factors in English. There is quite a bit to remember in psychology eg. evaluation points, year of study, stats etc.

My school also expects us to do 20 hours of extra work a week which is a lot and quite unobtainable.

Be sure to bear in mind that if you do this combination of subjects, all THREE are essay based-even Spanish!
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by minivampire)
I would suggest doing the subjects which are similar; I take psychology, sociology and health and social because they link very well and overlap jn areas (so revision is amazing!) whereas others take psychology with biology, as it links there or psychology and english (language I think), again because it links well! which is always a plus
But doing a language could also be very useful, especially on your cv...
Yeah I kind of want to take Spanish so I can be a Spanish tutor maybe as an option incase I change my mind, and then choosing English which would help with my essay writing. And then psychology would tie in with English again with the essay writing but I’m just not sure what my grades are gonna be like in my GCSEs!!
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1mmy)
I spend most of my time doing Spanish work which I most definitely cannot finish in my frees so I'd say at least 2 hours on Spanish a day. In terms of psychology and English you need to do extra reading to stay on top of grades particular for contextual factors in English. There is quite a bit to remember in psychology eg. evaluation points, year of study, stats etc.

My school also expects us to do 20 hours of extra work a week which is a lot and quite unobtainable.

Be sure to bear in mind that if you do this combination of subjects, all THREE are essay based-even Spanish!
Oh gosh that’s a lot!! Yeah I’ve just realised that they’re all gonna be a lot of essay writing which I’m not too keen on as I’d like to preferably have one subject which is not too much essay writing !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads