Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I don't understand what he is saying. It seems negative I think.

Christina Rossetti's universe was settled before she came of age and it never changed nor developed... Her poetry is largely devoid of sharp observation, whether intellectual or imagination. She falls back on pretty language, the bane of so many women poets.

Stuart Curran
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't understand what he is saying. It seems negative I think.

Christina Rossetti's universe was settled before she came of age and it never changed nor developed... Her poetry is largely devoid of sharp observation, whether intellectual or imagination. She falls back on pretty language, the bane of so many women poets.

Stuart Curran
In a nut shell:
"She created her written world as a child and it never developed into anything other than that childish world. It doesn't contain much smart observation or imaginative thought. She uses pretty words and that's about it. It's something many female poets do."

It is very negative and essential calls her poems pretty words with no content to them. Also suggests her ideas are undeveloped and childish.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
In a nut shell:
"She created her written world as a child and it never developed into anything other than that childish world. It doesn't contain much smart observation or imaginative thought. She uses pretty words and that's about it. It's something many female poets do."

It is very negative and essential calls her poems pretty words with no content to them. Also suggests her ideas are undeveloped and childish.
Then I guess you could argue he is wrong as Rossetti's poems clearly are developed and imaginative. However, in the round tower at Janhsi is simplistic. Is this right?
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then I guess you could argue he is wrong as Rossetti's poems clearly are developed and imaginative. However, in the round tower at Janhsi is simplistic. Is this right?
I wouldn't know since I don't know of them (or any poetry). But you could combat that type of argument by showing example examples of developed thought and observation in her poems or how he world has developed over time.
Anonymous #1
I wouldn't know since I don't know of them (or any poetry). But you could combat that type of argument by showing example examples of developed thought and observation in her poems or how he world has developed over time.
Would stuff like metaphors show developed thought. I don't get the idea about the world developing
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would stuff like metaphors show developed thought. I don't get the idea about the world developing
It's hard to say without knowing the poet or their work, but I would guess they are saying the world she creates in her writing is not complex or deep (since it was created when she was young and wouldn't have understood those things). So a meaningful metaphor could argue against that. Especially one that reflects on adult concepts in the world.
To show development you could compare the ideas covered in her earlier and later works and how they have become more complex or show more observation.

You might be better off seeing if you can find advice on Google though or posting in a relevant subject forum (I would move this thread over for you, but I'm on a device that doesn't let me). This isn't a subject I've learnt so I could be talking utter bs.
Anonymous #1
It's hard to say without knowing the poet or their work, but I would guess they are saying the world she creates in her writing is not complex or deep (since it was created when she was young and wouldn't have understood those things). So a meaningful metaphor could argue against that. Especially one that reflects on adult concepts in the world.
To show development you could compare the ideas covered in her earlier and later works and how they have become more complex or show more observation.

You might be better off seeing if you can find advice on Google though or posting in a relevant subject forum (I would move this thread over for you, but I'm on a device that doesn't let me). This isn't a subject I've learnt so I could be talking utter bs.
Thanks for the help
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's your personal opinion and there's no right or wrong with English (and particularly with poetry I find). Say what you believe, as long as you use the evidence (like you just have done) then you should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
12.07%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (28)
24.14%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (50)
43.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
17.24%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.45%

Watched Threads