The Student Room Group

Can i appeal a university rejection, if so, how?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by threeportdrift
Then your argument is with your College. There is nothing wrong with the University process.

Yeah but i did email the univercities so why they did not understnd it was out of my hands.

The worst thing is i got rejected first from greenwich and then an hour later someone responds to my email about not getting references on time.
Original post by Blackstarr
Yeah but i did email the univercities so why they did not understnd it was out of my hands.

The worst thing is i got rejected first from greenwich and then an hour later someone responds to my email about not getting references on time.

They did understand it was out of your hands, but the application process has clear rules, and in order to meet those rules, some co-operative action is required between the applicant and their referee. It's not any fault of any universities if that co-operative action fails. Again, your issue lies with your College, and it won't change the University outcome.
They did understand it was out of your hands, but the application process has clear rules, and in order to meet those rules, some co-operative action is required between the applicant and their referee. It's not any fault of any universities if that co-operative action fails. Again, your issue lies with your College, and it won't change the University outcome.

so even if i get the head of department at my college to write them?

Like its preety daft that i was rejected bacuse of no reference like it makes no sense to me, even if it was their policy
so even if i get the head of department at my college to write them?

You can speak to your head of department and if you can show you met all their internal deadlines, they might decide to see if they can take action on your behalf, but it won't be a formal appeal process.
You can speak to your head of department and if you can show you met all their internal deadlines, they might decide to see if they can take action on your behalf, but it won't be a formal appeal process.

What does that mean?
@Blackstarr

Frankly, leaving until the week before the deadline was asking for trouble. You showed a lack of understanding of the process, and/or a lack of insight into the fact that the tutor must have had current students to put through the process as well as you. If you had been a current student, would you have been pleased if your tutor had put off dealing with your reference to write one for a gap year student who had requested it at the last minute? No, I thought not.

What you've learned here is a valuable life lesson. Processes and deadlines exist in order to make it fair for everyone involved. You defeat yourself at the first fence if you don't observe the rules. Why should you be allowed some slack if no-one else is?

References are important, and in some shape or form will be so for the rest of your student/working life. You'd do yourself a big favour by taking them seriously: always ask permission to give someone's name, always give them as much notice as you can, and always give them (a) your CV and (b) a copy of any guidance about reference content requirements if provided. Clearly in this case, your tutor is very experienced in UCAS applications and wouldn't have needed (b), but as you are on a gap year, if you didn't give your tutor (a) and a note of what you were applying for and why, you were not helping yourself in the slightest.
Original post by Minerva
@Blackstarr

Frankly, leaving until the week before the deadline was asking for trouble. You showed a lack of understanding of the process, and/or a lack of insight into the fact that the tutor must have had current students to put through the process as well as you. If you had been a current student, would you have been pleased if your tutor had put off dealing with your reference to write one for a gap year student who had requested it at the last minute? No, I thought not.

What you've learned here is a valuable life lesson. Processes and deadlines exist in order to make it fair for everyone involved. You defeat yourself at the first fence if you don't observe the rules. Why should you be allowed some slack if no-one else is?

References are important, and in some shape or form will be so for the rest of your student/working life. You'd do yourself a big favour by taking them seriously: always ask permission to give someone's name, always give them as much notice as you can, and always give them (a) your CV and (b) a copy of any guidance about reference content requirements if provided. Clearly in this case, your tutor is very experienced in UCAS applications and wouldn't have needed (b), but as you are on a gap year, if you didn't give your tutor (a) and a note of what you were applying for and why, you were not helping yourself in the slightest.

Okay it was poor of me to leave it last minuite but my tutor knows i am a care worker and knows what course i am applying for or should know at least.

Like i had him for 2 years a college
You can only make an appeal if you believe something has gone wrong with the University procedure ie they lost your whole application and didn't assess it at all, then you could appeal and get them to assess it.

You can't appeal on the basis of academic judgement ie they assessed your application not to be strong enough. Also you can't appeal on the basis you don't agree with their process, for example that you have to submit references by a deadline.

I'm afraid you don't have a case for an appeal, based on what you've said.

Just to clarify with the bit in bold to make myself less confused.

Was i rejected based on my academic judgement or just the reference based on this email
Dear Blackstarr,

Admissions decisions are a matter of academic judgment which assesses a candidate’s suitability on the basis of the relevance of their qualifications and related experiences, the strength of their personal statement, as well as the academic reference written on the applicant’s behalf.

The University does not provide comprehensive individual feedback regarding unsuccessful applications.

The academic notes on your application state that the decision was based upon:

‘No reference’

Please note that applications will not be reconsidered on the production of additional supporting evidence. Applications are considered based on the information provided at the point of academic assessment only

No further correspondence will be entered into regarding this matter. Although this response may be disappointing, we would like to take this opportunity to wish you well in your future career.

Please do not delete the body of this email as it allows our administrators to reply more efficiently to your enquiry.

UK Student Recruitment
Communications & Recruitment
University of Greenwich
Original post by Minerva
@Blackstarr

Also, i attached my application to my college through the buzz word.

Dooesn't it mean my tutor would have seen my application?
I am not trying to argue with anyone, just saying.

It does not take long to do a bloody reference like i could have done one for myself but that would have been fraud.

And yeah, i never contacted him like lastminuite.com it was like a good week before.

A good week ago is pretty much last minute though, you needed to have contacted him by November atleast or early Dec so provisions can be made and that they can have time to alter the reference if needs be and make sure everything is fine. But there is no point discussing this as the deadline has ended.

What does that mean?

It means that you have no grounds for an appeal ie you can't go through a formal process with all the usual checks and balances to ensure fairness. All the College can do is ask each individual University to break their rules and act unfairly to others, by considering your late* application, because of the College's failings. I think this is highly unlikely.

*It will be late, because you missed the deadline to submit a complete application, and they will require the missing reference in order to consider your application
Original post by dontgivea
A good week ago is pretty much last minute though, you needed to have contacted him by November atleast or early Dec so provisions can be made and that they can have time to alter the reference if needs be and make sure everything is fine. But there is no point discussing this as the deadline has ended.

Yeah, i understand but a reference is no hard work mate
It means that you have no grounds for an appeal ie you can't go through a formal process with all the usual checks and balances to ensure fairness. All the College can do is ask each individual University to break their rules and act unfairly to others, by considering your late* application, because of the College's failings. I think this is highly unlikely.

*It will be late, because you missed the deadline to submit a complete application, and they will require the missing reference in order to consider your application

:frown:

I don't see why a reference should hold wait to my application when grades and the statemenst speak for themselves.

I am wondering How is it acting unfairly when they failed to provide my reference.

Fair enough i probably should have contacted him earlier but during that week he agreed to be my referee but leading up to the day, a week after still no reference, like why.
:frown:

I don't see why a reference should hold wait to my application when grades and the statemenst speak for themselves.

Because the rules say that references must accompany the rest of the application and they much all be submitted by a deadline. It's about the need for a single process to ensure fairness to all. Otherwise universities would just have a first come, first served, 'apply with whatever parts of the package you want' approach - then what do you think your chances would be?

Stop whittling away at nonsense, understand the facts and prepare to approach your College for some realistic solutions.
You asked your college a week before the deadline. You idiot you really had this coming
Original post by Minerva
@Blackstarr

Yes, i have learnt a lesson here and of course i would go mad if my reference was delayed because of a gap year student.

But why agree to do my reference if you are not gonna do it in the first place? it makes no sense, something went wrong somewhere.

I did not bother showing up at my college because he agreed via email.

I probably should have went anyway just in case.

And yes, i was unaware of the process as i was doing this by myself neverthelsess everthing would have been perfect if he did my reference like the day before or on the day, its not too much to ask, i don't think.
Original post by Marinamcd0nald
You asked your college a week before the deadline. You idiot you really had this coming

Yes, because i thoyght a reference was nothing.

I did not think of it as a big deal like i something that could be done at home in less than 30 mins

I know the fault lies with me and miscomunication with the colege

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending