This discussion is closed.
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't know whether it is just the nature of my fellow students but there seems to be this generic 'university' accent that is faintly southern, involves saying 'yeah' or 'right' at the end of most phrases and most annoyingly, everything said?, is in a rising inquisitive tone?... as if everything is a question?... as if nobody has any confidence in what they are saying?... like they need constant verification?

Any thoughts or opinions?
Sunofnight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ive noticed that a lot of young asian people talk like this I know what you mean.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No idea what you mean, mate. I think that's just more general language patterns amongst the youth, not just uni students.
ozzysmygod
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I talkkk with a thhickk Derby (DARRRRBY) Accent, and I love it! I ellongate words which people laugh at me for e.g LOADDDDDDSSSSSSSS of choclate. I dont think il pick up any accent as such, but I have picked up new phrases..
Jake22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
No idea what you mean, mate. I think that's just more general language patterns amongst the youth, not just uni students.
Well the reason I mention it is because I notice a big difference between the way people at my university speak and the way my friends who didn't go to university speak. I did have one friend who went to university and started to speak like that for a bit but then he regressed back to normal when he finished.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's maybe something in it.
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, but i keep getting hold how i start my sentences with isit, or init
Jason Sparks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Considering most Universities have students from across the globe, I suspect it's a little insulting to classify their accents as generic and 'slightly Southern'. Dare I say those from Sussex have a 'slightly Southern' accent.

I'm from Sussex, and many of my friends most certainly do not speak as i do.
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had someone in my class last year who rose her voice like a question at the end of every single sentence. It's quite unbelievable how annoying that is. I've never heard anyone but her do that.

Most people at my uni have strong southern accents, they sound like a bunch of stuck up ******s. That said...most of them are.
sheepgirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Theres a large proportion of northan people on my course (in london) so I do catch myself going northan sometimes. When I say 'See ya later' I do it in a yorkshire accent. Wierd. Otherwise I having noticed anything. Its probably a reflection on how young people speak anyway - regardless of whether they are at uni or not.
Catsmeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jason Sparks)
Considering most Universities have students from across the globe, I suspect it's a little insulting to classify their accents as generic and 'slightly Southern'. Dare I say those from Sussex have a 'slightly Southern' accent.

I'm from Sussex, and many of my friends most certainly do not speak as i do.
Perhaps the fact that there are many students from across the globe means that, within that environment, they will 'mute' their localised accent and adopt a 'University' accent, in order to approach other students in a similar idiom?

I've noticed several 'types' of accent, though I'm convinced that one is a product of the Public School system; it is very boisterious, and ironically (and stereotypically) 'chav'. Aside from that I've noticed the use of 'yah', as well as 'ok' as a sort of catch-all answer to any question, repeated, if permissable, as many times as possible.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
At York there's definitely this university accent you speak of, O.P. That's not to say everyone has adopted it. I think people put it on to 'intimidate the locals'. Doubt it works; I don't know any intimidating uni students.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Catsmeat)
Perhaps the fact that there are many students from across the globe means that, within that environment, they will 'mute' their localised accent and adopt a 'University' accent, in order to approach other students in a similar idiom?
Definitely. That's exactly what it is.
wtid
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think making every sentence sound like a question is a London (and maybe Southern generally) thing. It's been around for a while. My cousin went to Live in London (from Sheffield) when she was about 20 (she's now 33) and even back then we noticed she'd started doing it since she lived down there. She still does it to this day (still lives down there)
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I certainly don't do it. And I know people who do. Maybe that's just, you know, their accent.

Huge numbers of people come from London to Cambridge, so yeah, I would guess that was the reason...
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Northern people do it too. The uni accent is different to a generic southern accent.
Monkey Boy Ste
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When I went for an interview everyone seemed to have the exact same southern sounding accent, except me.

I did also get told I had a nice accent by an attractive young lady.

Oooooh yeeeeeah! :cool:
Zoedotdot
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well it's definitely a London thing, everyone round here does it. It is annoying, but then I think I probably do it myself, so I can't complain.
joeydeacon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm from Manchester, with a broad Manchester accent and have no intention of 'mutingt' it to sound like southerner at Uni!
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wtid)
I think making every sentence sound like a question is a London (and maybe Southern generally) thing.
It's actually an American thing, adopted by teenagers from popular culture.

When you grow up with American sitcoms blabbing at you more than your friends and family, it's difficult NOT to adpot it. However, my accent is a mixture of posh, and dropping my T's. It's bizzare.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
64.67%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.2%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.13%

Watched Threads