Sunofnight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im doing an online course with the OU, they send me books and I have to study, complete 4 assignments then take an exam. How should I go about studying? I don't like taking notes as well as reading the text books I will find it better to just read the book, say 4 pages a day (without note taking) and then before the exam start revising from the beginning and writing down notes and stuff to see if I remember.. Is this ok or should I really be writing things down as im studying the books?
Kolya
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
On what subject is the course?
TheOneWho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No one can really say whether a technique is right or wrong, it's all down to what works for you. Personally, I wouldn't do what you do, but that's my opinion.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I generally make notes whilst reading, explaining what I think are the key points. However, I take in a lot of stuff just by reading so the notes are more just a reminder for me. Do whatever works best for you.

If you don't mind spoiling your books, though, I'd recommend underlining the main points in the book, allowing you to revise faster.
Sunofnight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Alright thanks, the course is human biology
99p And A Flake
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not big on taking notes either and I seem to do ok with just reading I would say that 4 pages a day is not very much, though. A chapter might be more like it.
Mr Ben
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't have a revision scedule really, I just read the book as and when its practical, as I would a novel, and then do the same as you and revise propperly from it closer to the exams
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can find revision tips on the wiki!
Lessa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I get a few books on the subject and write a glossary of the key concepts/theories using my own words, after having read the explanation of the concept/theory in several different books. It works really well for me but it might not work for other people.
Katiee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i recommend revision cards things
key points from one area on each card

but you know... each to their own
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my experience people absorb very little purely reading text, but there is no doubt that different people learn in different ways, so if you feel just reading the text is the best way for you to learn, then do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads