The Student Room Group

two weeks £100 how will I survive ?

for the next two weeks, I won't be able to go out for a drink, go clubbing or even buy cigs.

That is going to stress me out, but how will I survive on mere £100 for two weeks in terms of food, thankfully transportation is sorted, just need the money for food.

I have no idea how much things cost, I usually live frivolously eating out and buying what I want when I need it but with just a £100 I don't think I can do that anymore at least for the next 2 weeks.

Breakfast
Cerial £2
Milk £1 x 4
Yogurt £1 x 2
Total = £8

Lunch
Bread(a stable of mine) £2 x 3
Baked beans £1 x 6
Tuna £ 1 x 6
Eggs six pack £2 x 2
Total = £22

Dinner
Salmon £8 x 2
Chicken £ 10 X 2
Mixed salad £1 x 2
Total = £38

Sum = £68

is it possible to live of this ?

Scroll to see replies

Lunch: 1 sausage role from greggs every day for 90p

x14 = £12.60

that's what I've been doing....
Oh, you poor thing. Sounds like you will really struggle with all that chicken and salmon.
Reply 3
Who the **** buys salmon on a budget?
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
for the next two weeks, I won't be able to go out for a drink, go clubbing or even buy cigs.

That is going to stress me out, but how will I survive on mere £100 for two weeks in terms of food, thankfully transportation is sorted, just need the money for food.

I have no idea how much things cost, I usually live frivolously eating out and buying what I want when I need it but with just a £100 I don't think I can do that anymore at least for the next 2 weeks.

Breakfast
Cerial £2
Milk £1 x 4
Yogurt £1 x 2
Total = £8

Lunch
Baked beans £1 x 6
Tuna £ 1 x 6
Eggs six pack £2 x 2
Total = £22

Dinner
Salmon £8 x 2
Chicken £ 10 X 2
Mixed salad £1 x 2
Total = £38

Sum = £68

Do you work or are you at University?
How on earth do you spend £50 a week on food just for yourself? I spend max £15-£20. You need to cook your own meals from scratch. I've made one dish last 5 meals which is so cheap. Don't buy branded food, buy the own brand ones because they're just as good (except chocolate spread, Nutella all the way). Make a meal plan and plan all your meals out in advance and then only buy the ingredients you need, and do top up shops for things like milk and fruit. Make a list and stick to it. It really isn't difficult to do this. Welcome to the real world!

Breakfast
Cerial £2
Milk £1 x 4
Yogurt £1 x 2
Total = £8

Lunch
Baked beans £1 x 6
Tuna £ 1 x 6
Eggs six pack £2 x 2
Total = £22

Dinner
Salmon £8 x 2
Chicken £ 10 X 2
Mixed salad £1 x 2
Total = £38

Sum = £68

I'm sure mummy or daddy will be able to contact their HSBC Premier Private banker to deposit some funds into your account judging by your spending...
the funny thing is that your sum, even considering how generous it is (8 pound breakfast??? chicken AND salmon in one meal???), is still considerably under 100 (32 difference). so even with that consumption your question (will i survive) has already been solved in the maths. xD
Why do you "need" yoghurt and cereal for breakfast? I tend to only have cereal and possibly a banana if I've gone for a run.

This thread screams "woah look at me and how much I spend on food".

I don't spend any more than £20-30 a week on food.

You can get milk for much less than that.
Original post by DrawTheLine
How on earth do you spend £50 a week on food just for yourself? I spend max £15-£20. You need to cook your own meals from scratch. I've made one dish last 5 meals which is so cheap. Don't buy branded food, buy the own brand ones because they're just as good (except chocolate spread, Nutella all the way). Make a meal plan and plan all your meals out in advance and then only buy the ingredients you need, and do top up shops for things like milk and fruit. Make a list and stick to it. It really isn't difficult to do this. Welcome to the real world!

Same here, I eat pretty decently and even overindulge in snacks and still rarely push 25/wk.

is all this shopping where 100 over 2 wks is a concern done in the luxury aisle of waitrose? (apologies if such a thing doesn't exist, I haven't stepped foot in a waitrose in years)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar
Same here, I eat pretty decently and even overindulge in snacks and still rarely push 25/wk.

I'm the same. I'm a sucker for Quavers.

Breakfast
Cerial £2
Milk £1 x 4
Yogurt £1 x 2
Total = £8

Lunch
Baked beans £1 x 6
Tuna £ 1 x 6
Eggs six pack £2 x 2
Total = £22

Dinner
Salmon £8 x 2
Chicken £ 10 X 2
Mixed salad £1 x 2
Total = £38

Sum = £68

I eat about 5 meals a day and I live off something similar to this (I go to the gym so try the to eat a lot. It youre only eating breakfast lunch and dinner then yes it’s extremely easy
I'm the same. I'm a sucker for Quavers.

ooh i am more of a sucker for dark chocolate and Maltesers
So this £100 is just for food, i.e. you've got £50 to spend on food for each week... I don't really see the problem. Where does your money come from normally?
Tonight's appeal is for people like MathsandCheesecake. Young MathsandCheesecake has a tough life, surviving on a food budget of only £50 a week. He can only afford one salmon dinner each week. Your donations would help him live a normal life, eating proper steaks and beef wellington like all his friends. Your donation of £2 a month would help MathsandCheesecake live a long, healthy, happy life. Please donate now and help #endhunger. Text ENDHUNGERNOW to 12345

Breakfast
Cerial £2
Milk £1 x 4
Yogurt £1 x 2
Total = £8

Lunch
Baked beans £1 x 6
Tuna £ 1 x 6
Eggs six pack £2 x 2
Total = £22

Dinner
Salmon £8 x 2
Chicken £ 10 X 2
Mixed salad £1 x 2
Total = £38

Sum = £68

Chickpeas are extremely cheap like 40p per can I would not buy salmon or meat it is quite expensive and buy porridge much cheaper and filling than cereal.Pasta is quite cheap or chickpeas coconut curry with sweet potato cheap also.Cream cheese cheap also Sainsburys basic cream cheese 85p.Banana also cheap and filling.Cream cheese and tomato is a good sandwich filling in my opinion.I see very little fruit and veg if any and lots of protein.Kale is quite good 1 pound per bag veg is considerably cheaper than fruit.Berries are quite expensive avoid if on a budget.

Beans are cheap also black-eyed beans and chopped tomatoes with plantain quite good and cheap.Stock up on chickpeas and canned beans (high in protein and cheap),chopped tomato and pasta with vegetables e.g. couragettes and peppers with spinach is quite good.Kale salad with tomatoes,cucumber and feta is quite good.Sweet potatoes also good and cheap.
dont buy salmon and chicken for dinner its way too overpriced and as above said, get a can of chicpeas they are great.
£100 is loads

Every single time.

If you ever mention spending more than £5 a week on basic living, someone on this website will tell you how they spend so much less than you as if they're some hero. No one gives a flying ****.

Quick Reply

Latest