Healthy Shopping List - Need Your Help! Watch

Penny Crayon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm really trying to be healthy now.
I need to get rid of bloating and a flabby tummy. I'm not overweight, but want to lose some. And I constantly feel tired.

All I do is snack on crisps, chocolates, cheese, fatty home made mc muffins etc.. Mmm.. see now I fancy one! Gr.. :mad:

So, I'm going shopping either tonight (Friday night - I know what a saddo) or tomorrow, and need help to come up with a shopping list thats healthy, but doesn't consist of me living off of nuts and berries for the next few weeks!

Also, need to get hold of a few healthy meal ideas (breakfast, lunch, dinner and some healthy snacks) that aren't expensive or time consuming...

Anyone bored enough to help?! Even though it seems simple, I need some guidance to get out of this bad diet rut!

If I havent given enough information aout something lemme know.

Thanks guys!
Elvendork
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Apples are yummy snacks, I'm always munching on them. And what about bananas? Great source of energy.
Pasta is a good meal, what about having it with tuna and salad? Quite inexpensive, easy to make, and tasty aswell.
You don't have to live off of nuts and berries (or as I like to call it, Rabbit Food lol), just keep a close eye on your portions. So you can still have chocolate, but just in moderation.
Good luck with trying to be healthier
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
how about some of these?
Penny Crayon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thud)
how about some of these?
Oh, I'm doing all the exercises as well! :p:
'The Ultimate Pump it up' every day..

Thanks Bex3000
ellabella
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
-carrots, apples, bananas, ryvita, alpen cereal bars - for snacks
-low fat plain yogurt (add your own fruit for flavour, i like yog with mashed banana, berries would work well too)
-bran flakes
-wholemeal brad/pasta
-tuna, low fat mayo (or use yogurt or a tomato sauce)
-a variety of veg for meals, for example you could make a ratatouille from courgette, aubergine, red pepper, onion, garlic and tinned tomatoes (which are v cheap if you buy budget)
-eggs: omlette with mushrooms, onion, spinach, garlic, cottage cheese
- baking potatoes (get some baked beans too. the budget ones have 50 cal/100g. or eat with chilli or tuna)
-quorn mince or mince meat for a chilli. also get celery, carrot, onion, garlic, courgette, red pepper, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms and red kidney beans. and chilli powder.
-a stew pack taht you can make into veggie soup, or buy the veg individually. last week i got a stew pack with leek, onion, swede, potato and carrot and i added my own carrot, onion, garlic, turnip and parsnip, and it was lovely. i fried the veg in frylight then added stock and water, let simmer for 30 min then partially blended it. red lentils are nice with this type of soup as well.
-make a veg curry with onion, garlic, carrot, cauliflower, courgette, tomato puree, mushrooms, curry powder. serve with brown rice.
-teas (such as yogi liquorice tea), to have when you feel like a treat
lil_danza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
- weetabix
- oats
- brown rice
- wholemeal english muffins
- food doctor bagels
- oatcakes

- fage 0% greek yoghurt (high in protein, though you might want to sweeten it!)
- fat free cottage cheese
- light philadelphia (good alternative to butter- it's good with jam on toast!)
- low fat hoummus
- slices of chicken/turkey for sandwiches

- cans of tuna in brine
- cans of beans (kidney beans, chick peas, etc- good on salads/in tomato sauce over rice/pasta)
- lentils
- cans of chopped tomatoes + tomato puree (easy to make a sauce with a cup of stock, tomatoes, puree, herbs and pinch of sugar)
- natural peanut butter (try to get one with only ingredients being peanuts + salt)
- skinless chicken breasts
- eggs (they get a bad rap, but are good for you if you can cook them without using loads of butter/oil)
- oil spray (it's called "1-cal")
- sugar free jelly (no nutrition whatsoever, but very low calorie, so if you like a sweet fix...highlights/options hot chocolate is also good)

- apples (eat with a tablespoon of peanut butter!)
- bananas (mash on toast w/ peanut butter for breakfast!)
- grapes (freeze banana slices on plate + grapes for a snack)

- broccoli
- red + yellow peppers
- carrots
- sweet potatoes (really good baked w/ a dollop of the fage yoghurt)
- lettuce
- avocado (use slices/mashed on sandwiches as healthy alternative to mayo)
jellybaby17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love porridge in the morning - if you have it with sliced banana and a spoon of honey or brown sugar it's really tasty, and is a nice filling start to the day
Also yoghurt with honey and raisins is nice.
There's lots of yummy ways of eating eggs too - I go for scrambled, but if you avoid frying then most ways are good!
Pasta, couscous or rice salads are really good for a quick easy meal, and it's really easy to make a tomato sauce, maybe with some sweetcorn, pepper or courgette, or you can try tuna mayo. If you like your bread, how about low fat hoummous with wholemeal toast?
I love jacket potatoes too, but I tend to have cheese and beans, which isn't the healthiest option! But tuna is good!
Ooh and stir fries are amazing! Just chuck almost any veg you can find into the pan, and if you do chicken in a nice chinesey marinade, then you won't even need noodles or rice or anything! Is a good way to use up the ends of packets etc.
Penny Crayon
Rep:
?
Thanks so much lil_danza, ellabella, and Jellybaby. :suith:

I've picked some of the things off your lists.

I particularly like the sugar free jelly idea. I have such a sweet tooth and that sounds like a good idea.

I'm gonna try the yoghurt with fruit in it too. I'll get some musli and cereal bars aswell.

Any one else got ideas? I do like me fizzy drinks aswell, any alternatives to that? I hate the idea of cutting out everything!
JessicaW
Report 11 years ago
I drink lots of water. I know it's hard to get into the habit of drink 2 litres a day, but it's honestly worth it.
guitargirl03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fizzy drinks are bad for your teeth and it's not just the ones with sugar in. The acid in some drinks, especially coke, can damage the enamel on your teeth. However, if you don't want to elimnate them from your diet, try limiting yourself to maybe having one fizzy drink a day, trying to make sure that it's a sugar free drink... Tonic water, although it does contain carbonated water, has less chemicals than a drink like Coke. Try mixing it with orange juice. You can also buy flavoured tonic water.

I'm a vegan so although I eat pretty healthily, it can be quite repetative but her are a few ideas:

jacket potato with humous and grated carrot
jacket potato with humous and sweetcorn
vegetable sticks with humous
humous, mushrooms and sweetcorn in pitta bread
stuffed peppers with rice/ couscous with tofu (substitute for a meat such as chicken if you like) vegetables and use a sauce, such as the Blue Dragon sachets of sauces]
stir fry

pudding ideas:

fruit salad
fruit cobler: pour a tin of fruit into the bottom of a dish, put small blobs of jam over the fruit. Cover with oats and then pour water over the top, making sure the oats are covered, but make sure that it's not too liquidy. Put into the microwave for 4-ish minutes
soya yoghurts are also pretty healthy
Penny Crayon
Rep:
?
(Original post by JessicaW)
I drink lots of water. I know it's hard to get into the habit of drink 2 litres a day, but it's honestly worth it.
Yeah, I have been trying to. And I find that I especially do drink more water now I am working out every day too. Thanks
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jellybaby17)
I love porridge in the morning - if you have it with sliced banana and a spoon of honey or brown sugar it's really tasty, and is a nice filling start to the day
Also yoghurt with honey and raisins is nice.
There's lots of yummy ways of eating eggs too - I go for scrambled, but if you avoid frying then most ways are good!
Pasta, couscous or rice salads are really good for a quick easy meal, and it's really easy to make a tomato sauce, maybe with some sweetcorn, pepper or courgette, or you can try tuna mayo. If you like your bread, how about low fat hoummous with wholemeal toast?
I love jacket potatoes too, but I tend to have cheese and beans, which isn't the healthiest option! But tuna is good!
Ooh and stir fries are amazing! Just chuck almost any veg you can find into the pan, and if you do chicken in a nice chinesey marinade, then you won't even need noodles or rice or anything! Is a good way to use up the ends of packets etc.
If the potato is served with more beans than cheese it isn't too bad at all. Beans are good and a little cheese on the side won't do any harm at all.
lil_danza
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by happydinosaur)
If the potato is served with more beans than cheese it isn't too bad at all. Beans are good and a little cheese on the side won't do any harm at all.
agree- and if you get a strong cheese (a really mature cheddar or something) you need less for the same flavour. Cottage cheese is good on baked potatoes too

RE fizzy drinks: there is a lot of evidence to show that they are really damaging to your bones, though as a self-confessed diet coke addict, I can understand how hard it is to cut them out! I try to limit myself to 1 can a day ("TRY" being the operative word...not doing so well on this one!)
suicidal_dream
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
how about buying some fruit juice?! and then limit yourself to one glass of fizzy a day - that way you're still getting a sweet drink but the fruit juice (or smoothie) can often be one of the 5 fruit and veg a day!
Smoothies are also really filling!
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
buy packets of fruit i love having grapes and packets of apple chunks so you can eat them at uni in between lectures keeps you full and is healthy

also its offtopic but stick to a time table when you eat so that you have your brekkie at 7.30 dinner at a set time and tea as well just so your body can get used to eat. might be hard but could be worth it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.76%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.81%
I don't think they'd understand (26)
17.57%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
37.16%
There's nothing they could do (41)
27.7%

Watched Threads