Alas12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
...When do you put the clutch down to slow down and brake, as opposed to just braking... :confused: If that makes sense. I thought, go down gears as you slow down, put clutch down and brake, but my driving instructor said don't put the clutch down every time you brake because you don't need to. It confused me though...
sauce
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Alas12)
...When do you put the clutch down to slow down and brake, as opposed to just braking... :confused: If that makes sense. I thought, go down gears as you slow down, put clutch down and brake, but my driving instructor said don't put the clutch down every time you brake because you don't need to. It confused me though...
clutch down unneccesarily=coasting
you brake to the speed for the correct gear, clutch in, change to gear, smoothly up and then either proceed of if you have to stop then brake and clutch in about a car length before you need to stop(in an emerging from a junction situation for e.g.)
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If im in 1st i usually brake and put the clutch down at the same time.

In other gears you can just brake until the car starts to judder (like its about to stall) and then put the clutch down if your bringing the car to a stop. This means you get the effect of engine breaking.

Otherwise if your doing 70mph and you need to slow to 30, brake until your at 30 staying in 5th gear and then put the clutch down and place in 4th.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you're just slowing down a little bit, then you don't need to put the clutch in.

Only put the clutch in to change gears (up or down) or when you're about to come to a full stop.
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I usually slowly put my foot down just before I break.
You don't put it down everytime you break because you lose some control of the motor.
DJW
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
You only need to clutch down just as you come to a dead stop so you don't stall (except changing gears obviously).
Ideally you want to do that before the car judders, but you can really do that until you're used to the car.
Alas12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
If you're just slowing down a little bit, then you don't need to put the clutch in.

Only put the clutch in to change gears (up or down) or when you're about to come to a full stop.
Ahh, riight. This a post I understand. Laymans terms and all that.

Thank you!
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The engine has an idle rev count, meaning that when the car is not "driving", the engine is turning over at this speed, which is its minimum. So when braking, you need to put the clutch down before you reach this number of revs, else the car will judder then stall. Just listen to the engine, you will be able to tell whether or not you need to depress the clutch
TJW_08
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Yeah as others as said don't put the clutch down right until your going to stop. You'll just end up increasing your stopping distance and wearing your brakes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads