English AQA a level help urgent

Watch
username2528365
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi.

I’m in year 13 studying English literature love through the ages. I’m finding it difficult to revise for the A2 content which is on WW1 and its aftermath. I’m studying ‘Oh What A Lovely War’ as a stand alone text and ‘A Long Long Way’ compared with poems from ‘Scars Upon My Heart’. One out of my two English teachers is so terrible and I’m very worried about the exams. All he does is just convert the poems I’m studying to simpler terms without looking at any language techniques or even how to write on it. Oh, and we haven’t even started the ‘A Long Long Way’ text by Sebastian Barry. So I really need someone’s help / advice on what I could do to revise effectively in order to attain decent marks in the exams, preferably a B or an A. I would also be ever so grateful if anyone could share any notes / essays.

Thank you so much!

qvartermaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I'm only in year 11 so this advice might not help.
Picking up revision guides can really help, along with memorising key lines from the poem- like which ones have a really big impact on you. Try and learn words to use like caesura, end-stop, enjambment; these words have simple meanings but they sound impressive to markers.
The stand alone text could also do with some key lines being taken out. In your spare time, try to analyse the characters (?) including the speaker's feelings as shown in the poem, and make contextual references.
Take some of your worries to other english teachers in your school! If you're really struggling, you might have to sacrifice a few free periods or lunch times, but it will pay off. See if Mr Bruff or other youtubers have made videos on your texts and poems- and good luck!
p.s. - Because these poems are about the world wars, I imagine the markers would LOVE to see hints of context/outside knowledge, so remember to put that in your exam wherever you can!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads