The Student Room Group

Research on bullying

Just wondering what are people's thoughts on bullying prevention in schools ,and to anyone who knows about current research in this area: what are your thoughts on research on bullying in schools ?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know of a great deal of research done on bullying and I'd be very curious about the methodologies with that kind of thing.

Bullying happens in all schools, and I think it's difficult to prevent completely. The difference is the way in which schools try to tackle the issue: some are a lot more successful than others. Obviously, student demographics strikes me as one of the biggest contributing factors; but I'm also interested in the idea that bullying is less common in a school that gives the child more value.:beard:
Best way to deal with bullying is if you are being bullied physically. When they hit you hit them back harder then you'll see if they're as hard as they like to think.
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
I don't know of a great deal of research done on bullying and I'd be very curious about the methodologies with that kind of thing.

Bullying happens in all schools, and I think it's difficult to prevent completely. The difference is the way in which schools try to tackle the issue: some are a lot more successful than others. Obviously, student demographics strikes me as one of the biggest contributing factors; but I'm also interested in the idea that bullying is less common in a school that gives the child more value.:beard:

Hello and thanks for your reply . This topic interests me because it's a long -standing problem and one of which that simply isn't getting better .
Your point on value -focused schools is interesting . I know many schools that hold a strong value ethos , however , bullying is still prevalent in these schools and some parents have even gone to school governors because enough wasn't done by the teachers regarding bullying there but actually it would be interesting to discover if a quantitative research approach with these schools versus schools without the strong value ethos would would show any significant difference. Demographics is also something I will look into . Thanks for your contribution - much appreciated !
Reply 4
Original post by Kaffee_1998
Best way to deal with bullying is if you are being bullied physically. When they hit you hit them back harder then you'll see if they're as hard as they like to think.

Do you think this should be taught in schools as a prevention strategy ?
Original post by Lydz1988
Do you think this should be taught in schools as a prevention strategy ?

yes
Reply 6
yes

Do you think this is the only thing that will prevent bullying ? have you any other ideas or thoughts on it ? Do you have experience with bullying ?
Do you think this is the only thing that will prevent bullying ? have you any other ideas or thoughts on it ? Do you have experience with bullying ?

I do have some experience but nothing major.

And nothing will fully eradicate bullying but teaching kids to defend themselves will act as a deterrent in itself.
Reply 8
yes

So , bullying is all about power dynamics - is that what you're saying ? And violence or emotional abuse directed back to the bully is the only solution because it disrupts the bullies power supply ? Is this correct ?
If this is correct ( and I know pretty much that power is the driving force behind most bullying ) then either we teach pupils in schools to stand up for themselves and be assertive (which I have thought about and realised that people with no emotion or remorse defo have the upper hand and this is possibly fighting a losing battle but anybody's thoughts welcome !)or We use a different approach to level out the power -dynamics . Thoughts please ?
Reply 9

And nothing will fully eradicate bullying but teaching kids to defend themselves will act as a deterrent in itself.

But if every body retaliated against a bully will the bully get more violent / aggressive / emotionally abusive to up his game to get his power supply back , is teaching self -defense potentially dangerous ? How do you know bullying can't get stopped ?
Reply 10

Would research on bullies be better than on victims ? Instead of helping victims , should we be helping bullies ?
So , bullying is all about power dynamics - is that what you're saying ? And violence or emotional abuse directed back to the bully is the only solution because it disrupts the bullies power supply ? Is this correct ?
If this is correct ( and I know pretty much that power is the driving force behind most bullying ) then either we teach pupils in schools to stand up for themselves and be assertive (which I have thought about and realised that people with no emotion or remorse defo have the upper hand and this is possibly fighting a losing battle but anybody's thoughts welcome !)or We use a different approach to level out the power -dynamics . Thoughts please ?

You could attribute it to power dynamics if you want to but in my personal opinion the ability to deter the bully using physical means is an important step in ensuring that bullying is reduced. After all if you don't make it known that you are not going to put up with it without a fight then the likelihood of you being a target is reduced.
Reply 12
You could attribute it to power dynamics if you want to but in my personal opinion the ability to deter the bully using physical means is an important step in ensuring that bullying is reduced. After all if you don't make it known that you are not going to put up with it without a fight then the likelihood of you being a target is reduced.

Does the bully/ bullies have to have a target ? If , so then if every person the bully(Ies)could target retaliated against the bullies . Would the bully find an animal ? The problem here is leading me to think the bully needs help and not the victim
Does the bully/ bullies have to have a target ? If , so then if every person the bully(Ies)could target retaliated against the bullies . Would the bully find an animal ? The problem here is leading me to think the bully needs help and not the victim

I agree they do. They're a lot of reasons why people bully others. You cant solve the issue unless you know the cause.

Unfortunately the problem just escalates. The other guy then brings in a knife for the next round. Then someone brings in a gun for the round after that.

Bullies are nothing but degenerates and should be deal with as degenerates. This is coming from first hand experience from someone who was bullied both physically and verbally (Mainly in primary school and year 7/8)
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Unfortunately the problem just escalates. The other guy then brings in a knife for the next round. Then someone brings in a gun for the round after that.

No ****!
I agree they do. They're a lot of reasons why people bully others. You cant solve the issue unless you know the cause.

In my experience bullies bully people mainly because they want to look "cool" to other people, make themselves feel better or just for their own entertainment. I was bullied by this midget in year 7 and also fought me, the most embarrassing part is that I refused to hit the **** back simply because I was concerned with the health of the bully if I hit him.
(edited 6 years ago)
We need to fire teachers who pretend to act like there was no bullying going on in classes
Original post by FloralLuxe
We need to fire teachers who pretend to act like there was no bullying going on in classes

But how do you fire someone when they're not admitting to seeing any bullying? Don't you need proof?

If the victims don't talk, the bully won't talk (obvsly), and no witnesses come forward, even if teachers want to help - how will they know its going on?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending