The Student Room Group

I want to drop out

I am a first year student and living in halls. However when I first started I had to live in a hotel for the first couple of weeks because of the fact that my uni didn't have enough rooms for everyone. Because of this I wasn't able to make friends at all and felt very lonely during my time there. I now live in halls with mostly postgraduate students, who are all lovely people but they're all so quiet and not exactly my friends. I've met a couple of nice people on my course but we don't really talk outside lectures other than about work. I've met 2 people from societies who want to live together next year but I don't feel like I'd wanna live out next year, if I stay on. I still have my job in my hometown and I go home every week so I can work and not feel so bad (also the money is handy). I'm torn between 3 options:
(1) staying on at uni and living out with those 2 girls (but I feel this would be a huge waste of money, especially if I come home every week like I have done so far)
(2) staying on and moving back home
(3) dropping out and getting a full time job where I currently work

It's worth bearing in mind that all I do right now is go to lectures, have naps, binge watch a lot of TV shows and eat a lot of food (although my best friend says that she does this too so maybe this is typical of students idk).

What are your thoughts?
Original post by student1242
I am a first year student and living in halls. However when I first started I had to live in a hotel for the first couple of weeks because of the fact that my uni didn't have enough rooms for everyone. Because of this I wasn't able to make friends at all and felt very lonely during my time there. I now live in halls with mostly postgraduate students, who are all lovely people but they're all so quiet and not exactly my friends. I've met a couple of nice people on my course but we don't really talk outside lectures other than about work. I've met 2 people from societies who want to live together next year but I don't feel like I'd wanna live out next year, if I stay on. I still have my job in my hometown and I go home every week so I can work and not feel so bad (also the money is handy). I'm torn between 3 options:
(1) staying on at uni and living out with those 2 girls (but I feel this would be a huge waste of money, especially if I come home every week like I have done so far)

It's worth bearing in mind that all I do right now is go to lectures, have naps, binge watch a lot of TV shows and eat a lot of food (although my best friend says that she does this too so maybe this is typical of students idk).

What are your thoughts?

Don't drop out yet, things may well improve if you
do (1) and don't go home as often to make it worthwhile

that's typical of students xD

What are your thoughts?

if u can manage the commute I think option two sounds the best
does the course suck? or u wanna drop out just because ur lonely?
As someone who went through something similar, my advice would be to stay on and live with the two people you've met. I was basically on my own in first year as I was placed with international students who kept themselves to themselves. I moved in with friends I'd made on the course and it's been much more enjoyable since.
Reply 4
Original post by lowtestbeta
if u can manage the commute I think option two sounds the best
does the course suck? or u wanna drop out just because ur lonely?

yeah i feel like commuting might be better but then i worry about whether or not id regret commuting. its mostly coz of being lonely tbh. i enjoy the course otherwise
Reply 5
Original post by The Wavefunction
As someone who went through something similar, my advice would be to stay on and live with the two people you've met. I was basically on my own in first year as I was placed with international students who kept themselves to themselves. I moved in with friends I'd made on the course and it's been much more enjoyable since.

did you feel lonely too during the first year? (if you dont mind me asking)
did you feel lonely too during the first year? (if you dont mind me asking)

At times, very. I've always enjoyed my own company but it was hard at times. I'd go home every weekend. I contemplated dropping out several times before Christmas. It got easier once January passed.
Reply 7
At times, very. I've always enjoyed my own company but it was hard at times. I'd go home every weekend. I contemplated dropping out several times before Christmas. It got easier once January passed.

oh right yeah i get that. how did you make more friends and how did it become easier?
oh right yeah i get that. how did you make more friends and how did it become easier?

I'm pretty socialable and my course bad a lot of contact hours so I just made friends via that. The issue was that I'd hang with them during course hours but once I went back to halls I'd be back on my own. The course friendships develop more over the year, they take longer than halls friendships. And I honestly think the weather helps. When it's raining and cold and dark it's hard to stay positive. When it gets lighter and warmer it's much better.
Reply 9
I'm pretty socialable and my course bad a lot of contact hours so I just made friends via that. The issue was that I'd hang with them during course hours but once I went back to halls I'd be back on my own. The course friendships develop more over the year, they take longer than halls friendships. And I honestly think the weather helps. When it's raining and cold and dark it's hard to stay positive. When it gets lighter and warmer it's much better.

Yeah fair enough. The uni that I'm at it mostly rains and stuff so it makes it even more depressing. Did you join any societies and make any friends through them?
Option 2 seems the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending