Turn on thread page Beta

I believe I am being abused by my parents and am unsure of what to do watch

ReputationRep:
    I am an only child and in year 12 6th form studying for my A-levels, I now feel like my life is falling apart and unsure of what to do!!

I believe that I have been physically and emotionally abused by my parents for as long as I can remember thy have slapped and hit me, locked me outside in the middle of winter and on occasion tried to strangle me. One of the more recent incidents that I can remember occured last year was when my Mum dragged me across the kitchen by my hair and started to turn on the tap it was at this moment I thought she was about to try and drown me but luckily I managed to escape. I am constantly put down by my Mum often being told that I have no common sense. I do not have a good relationship with either of my parents and I feel like they hate me. My Dad is verbally abusive towards my Mum and they have been known to have arguments at 10pm causing him to storm out of the house and not return until the early hours of the next morning.I feel like its all my fault. In year 7 a friend which I had known for 10 years passed away unexpectedly my Mum refused to let me go to her funeral and I have never gained closure; this I believe has had a large impact on my life so far. I finally opened up to my friends about this last year as up to this point I felt it was normal when I was informed it was not. I am currently feeling depressed and unhappy at school. I am struggling to keep myself alive whilst handling the demands of A-levels and home issues. On GCSE results day I received the equivalent of 4 A's, 6 B's and 1 C in English language causing me to want to retake for university which I did and received another 5 my parents are annoyed and I feel stupid and like my life is worthless because of it. have been at the same school since I was 12 but have never mentioned any of this to them I am unsure of what to do now and who to turn to as although my friends are supportive they can’t help to solve my problems and I don’t always feel able to talk to them any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

ReputationRep:
    I know how this kinda thing feels honestly and it’s really degrading and horrible to hear and witness, from my experience I know that telling friends and trying to be open to them about things is hard or even getting them to understand is really annoying as they probably have never been through the same kind of thing. I would suggest going to your doctors and telling them about the things you have been going through and they could possibly suggest or refer you to a counsellor or someone that can help. If not call childline etc if you feel it’s getting really out of hand to the point where you feel very unsafe. But don’t feel like anything is your fault you didn’t ask for any of this so don’t feel like you are to blame. I also think even without knowing you you’re copping well enough to go through tough times at home and keep up at school as I know the pressures of people telling you you’re not good enough and how useless and worthless it makes you feel but keep your head up and don’t let this affect your study’s as the result of these will help you get a job and move out of that house xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I am so sorry to hear this. You’re incredibly strong for what you’ve put up with so far and you deserve so much more support. It would also be such a shame if your parents abuse made your academic work suffer because you sound like someone who is concerned and determined to stay on course.

I really, strongly recommend you speak to someone - either a counsellor or therapist of some kind. I think someone at your school (in a position of authority) should be made aware of your position, even if it’s a teacher you trust. You’re a child being abused by adults, and any other adult would be able to pick up on your vulnerability and the severity of the situation. I seriously wish you the best of luck and urge you keep trying your best with your education - it’s likely to be your best ticket out of this in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you need to be really honest with anyone who can help (i.e. Professionals, teachers, staff, other family members, only people you can trust though) so you can get the bottom of this, do you have a "guidance"/"support" teacher who you trust and can honestly approach? Don't be alarmed if people seem surprised at first, they will believe you and just be taken aback x

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude.
    First, really well done for taking the first step to recovery. You can do this.
    There are free online counsellor services eg kooth.com who you can talk to about your emotions. To address the main issue of the abuse please call childline or the police. I personally wouldn't get the school involved my friend did that and they told his mum, who abuses him and he self harms to cope, that he self harms and now she abuses him worse for that. ****ing clever one.
    Reporting it will usually mean you can be given your own place as youre allowed to live alone or are sent to live with family and parents are restrained from seeing you.
    Im so sorry to hear about your friend. Is there any way you and your friends could do a sort of memorial service now that its 10 years on and remember them - this could help get some closure about their passing.
    Most of all dont be afraid to take care of yourself. You can always retake a levels, you can revise some other time but youll never succeed to the best you can in such a toxic situation.
    Please go and get help.
    Lots of love xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by flippingforever)
    I am an only child and in year 12 6th form studying for my A-levels, I now feel like my life is falling apart and unsure of what to do!!

I believe that I have been physically and emotionally abused by my parents for as long as I can remember thy have slapped and hit me, locked me outside in the middle of winter and on occasion tried to strangle me. One of the more recent incidents that I can remember occured last year was when my Mum dragged me across the kitchen by my hair and started to turn on the tap it was at this moment I thought she was about to try and drown me but luckily I managed to escape. I am constantly put down by my Mum often being told that I have no common sense. I do not have a good relationship with either of my parents and I feel like they hate me. My Dad is verbally abusive towards my Mum and they have been known to have arguments at 10pm causing him to storm out of the house and not return until the early hours of the next morning.I feel like its all my fault. In year 7 a friend which I had known for 10 years passed away unexpectedly my Mum refused to let me go to her funeral and I have never gained closure; this I believe has had a large impact on my life so far. I finally opened up to my friends about this last year as up to this point I felt it was normal when I was informed it was not. I am currently feeling depressed and unhappy at school. I am struggling to keep myself alive whilst handling the demands of A-levels and home issues. On GCSE results day I received the equivalent of 4 A's, 6 B's and 1 C in English language causing me to want to retake for university which I did and received another 5 my parents are annoyed and I feel stupid and like my life is worthless because of it. have been at the same school since I was 12 but have never mentioned any of this to them I am unsure of what to do now and who to turn to as although my friends are supportive they can’t help to solve my problems and I don’t always feel able to talk to them any advice would be greatly appreciated xx
    I suggest contacting childline. They can help you through what you need to do and I believe they can report things on your behalf of you ask them to. Everything you say to them is confidential, it's free and calls won't appear on phone bills.

You could also talk to your college, the police and/ or your GP.
    I would suggest taking to your GP since you are struggling. They will not tell anybody anything you have said unless you give permission. You can take a supportive friend with you to any meetings or appointments you have if you want to.
    It might also help to talk to somebody like a friend's parent who you trust. If you ever feel unsafe you can call 999 and/ or go to a friend's house.

This is not okay. You deserve better, There are people who want to and can help you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everyone for your help I am currently contemplating telling the sixth-form guidance teacher xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flippingforever)
    Thank you so much everyone for your help I am currently contemplating telling the sixth-form guidance teacher xx
    Please take some action as soon as you feel ready, as this situation will not improve without external support. Personally, I think the GP or childline options are strong starters, because of the confidentiality issues mentioned above. You can get through this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.