The Student Room Group

dropping an a level

long story short i want to drop physics (ocr linear) i’m in upper sixth and ive already gotten my exam timetable (assuming that means i’ve been enrolled and paid) so is it possible to drop it still?

i never wanted to take it in the first place my school just threatened me that if i didn’t i wouldn’t get into uni for medicine lol then as soon as i started it i wanted to drop it but wasn’t allowed and then my parents spent a lot of money on extra tuition (which i felt bad about and think was wrong) to help me improve but i still have always wanted to drop and never been allowed by my school and never really had a choice so yeah finally i’ve grown the balls to want to end the pain and drop it lol is it too late?
Reply 1
Original post by lejefadetumadre
long story short i want to drop physics (ocr linear) i’m in upper sixth and ive already gotten my exam timetable (assuming that means i’ve been enrolled and paid) so is it possible to drop it still?

i never wanted to take it in the first place my school just threatened me that if i didn’t i wouldn’t get into uni for medicine lol then as soon as i started it i wanted to drop it but wasn’t allowed and then my parents spent a lot of money on extra tuition (which i felt bad about and think was wrong) to help me improve but i still have always wanted to drop and never been allowed by my school and never really had a choice so yeah finally i’ve grown the balls to want to end the pain and drop it lol is it too late?

Have you applied to any universities?
yes but they base offers on 3 grades so physics is irrelevant bc they’ll base it on my top three
Reply 3
yes but they base offers on 3 grades so physics is irrelevant bc they’ll base it on my top three

You will need to ask your universities if you can drop a subject. You applied offering 4 subjects, you can't unilaterally change the terms of your application. Doing that could lead to any offers being withdrawn.

Often they will agree, but you can't assume. Contact your universities and ask.
:redface: wow medicine is pretty competitive do you think there’s a higher chance of them withdrawing?
Reply 5
:redface: wow medicine is pretty competitive do you think there’s a higher chance of them withdrawing?

Have you received any offers?

PS. It's best to quote the message you are replying to so the poster gets a notification when you reply :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you received any offers?

PS. It's best to quote the message you are replying to so the poster gets a notification when you reply :smile:

no i have received for interview invitations though so offers rest on those! and haha sorry! i’m still need to tsr thanks for telling me :smile:
Reply 7
no i have received for interview invitations though so offers rest on those! and haha sorry! i’m still need to tsr thanks for telling me :smile:

Ok, so you definitely need to ask your choices. And as I said they might say no, or yes. But until you've checked with them there's no point even approaching your sixth form about dropping Physics.

PS. No worries :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Ok, so you definitely need to ask your choices. And as I said they might say no, or yes. But until you've checked with them there's no point even approaching your sixth form about dropping Physics.

PS. No worries :smile:

i’m not really too optimistic about the replies lol i don’t see them being very sympathetic or merciful tbh what do you’ve think my chances are :frown: i think it’s too competitive and my place would go to someone who had four a levels perhaps or three better grades
Reply 9
i’m not really too optimistic about the replies lol i don’t see them being very sympathetic or merciful tbh what do you’ve think my chances are :frown: i think it’s too competitive and my place would go to someone who had four a levels perhaps or three better grades

They are looking for quality not quantity. 3 good A-levels are much better than 4 not so good. And if dropping one helps you do better in the other 3 that might be a good thing.

Call them.

Edit: just a debbie-downer reality check... most medicine applicants get 4/4 rejections. So good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest