The Student Room Group

Urgent Land Law problem question

Hello, I need help answering a problem question. If anyone can guide me through the steps, that would be so helpful!!! Thanks

Question:

Alfie and Brooke are a couple of many years, who have had children together. The children are Chloe (10), Dior (14), Edward (16), and Felix (18). They purchased the family home in 1995, and were both registered as the title-holders to the property. The following events occur:

i) March 2017: Brooke requires a loan to support her failing online business. She asks Alfie to sign a document to remortgage the property to Greggs Bank in order to raise funds. Alfie receives documentation from the Bank asking him to agree that he has received legal advice in relation to the transaction, which he ignores and throws away. Brooke draws the funds and spends them on her business.

ii) July 2017: The business fails and the bank has listed the property in a local auction, to take place in February 2019. Brooke notices that they have failed to list the planning permission she had recently received in order to expand the workshop in which she had carried out her online business. She contacts the bank, but they fail to rectify the advertisement, telling her “it hardly makes any difference”. Alfie is disappointed, as he fears this will mean they will lose some of the value of the property.

iii) August 2017: Alfie explains the family’s predicament to Harry, a friend of his who has returned to University and is now a second year law student. Harry said that he thinks there is something that Alfie can do to try to prevent the sale, but that he does not remember what it is because he missed his lectures the day after the law ball a decision that he has always regretted.

Advise Alfie.

Latest

Trending

Trending