Should I study veterinary medicine in the UK or abroad?

Watch
M12S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so recently I got a place at RVC for vet med as well as at Trakia University in Bulgaria. I was looking forward to going to Bulgaria as it's a great opportunity to travel, learn another language and experience a new culture. The weather is also a plus. The cost is Bulgaria is £3500 per year plus around £100 per month for food and accommodation so altogether arund £26000 whereas if I go to rvc I'll have a debt of £120000 which I'll be repaying for the next 30 years. But I'm not sure anymore.
What do you think I should do?
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's a decision you have to make for yourself after weighing up the pros and cons. Unfortunately it will be very difficult for anyone to compare them objectively given that I doubt anyone has studied at both RVC and Trakia.

You seem to have come up with a good list of pros for Trakia, so I'll give some potential ones for RVC as well:
- Facilities and reputation; home to the biggest veterinary hospital in Europe. Ranked as third in the world by QS World University Rankings
- Graduates are accredited to work in the UK, Europe, North America and Australasia
- Part of the university of London; biggest student body in the UK with societies covering almost everything.
- Links to other universities, e.g. you can do a rotation in Utrecht, Netherlands. We regularly host and visit other vet schools through IVSA
- More emphasis on UK disease and legislation (assuming you would want to work in the UK)

If the cost of studying at the RVC is prohibitive, remember that there are bursaries that you may be eligible for, in addition to a support fund for any students facing hardship. You'll also get a loan for tuition/living costs, whereas I beleieve if you study abroad you are expected to self-fund. The vast majority of people will not end up repaying their entire loan as it is written off after 30 years, so it may not end up being that much more expensive than Bulgaria.

I realise this is a bit biased towards the RVC which wasn't the intent I think it would be helpful to make a list of pros and cons and rank the ones which you find most important. If possible it would be a good idea to visit both campuses although I appreciate this may not be realistic. Let me know if you have any questions about RVC and I'll see what I can do.
CrazyPantha27
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by M12S)
Okay so recently I got a place at RVC for vet med as well as at Trakia University in Bulgaria. I was looking forward to going to Bulgaria as it's a great opportunity to travel, learn another language and experience a new culture. The weather is also a plus. The cost is Bulgaria is £3500 per year plus around £100 per Month zia for food and accommodation so altogether arund £26000 whereas if I go to rvc I'll have a debt of £120000 which I'll be repaying for the next 30 years. But I'm not sure anymore.
What do you think I should do?
Be wary of studying vet med abroad in Bulgaria if you're intention is to come back to the UK and Work (which I assume it is). At the moment EU veterinary graduates are recognised by the RCVS and so have the right to work here. However there are two problems with this:

1) With Brexit coming up soon, while we don't know the implications for sure, the RCVS might no longer recognise EU vet graduates, so you'd have a hard time getting recognised and you'd have to go through a whole examination process and it would just be a lot if hassle you can easily avoid if you went to RVC
2) Some Veterinary employers in this country aren't to keen on graduates from countries like Bulgaria as they don't know what the quality of your degree is like. I can only speak from experience but all the veterinary practices I've done work experience at. If they get job applications from vets who graduated from Bulgarian and Romanian schools, they immediately put them in the bin because they have no idea what the standard is like and they would much rather hire someone from somewhere like Rvc, as they know the standard is excellent there. So you might find getting a job could be tough, it might not be bug it's something worth thinking about. If you were an employer who would you rather hire. Someone with a degree from a world class institution like Rvc Or someone with a degree from a Bulgarian university.

Sure you'll come out with lots of debt from RVC, but student loans are really flexible and while intimidating they don't really impact your life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.23%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.55%

Watched Threads