The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Second year studio advice

I’m having some problems deciding where to live for my second year at uni.

I have decided that I definitely want to be in a studio for personal reasons, but I can’t decide between staying in a university accommodation studio, or moving into a privately owned apartment building.

The university studio is far away from where I would like to be, and the rent is the price of my maintenance loan, so all the money I earn over the summer will go straight to food and things. It will be full of other students though, more sociable and possibly safer.

The private studios are in the city center, and open to the public, so I won’t necessarily be with other students, and will be in a comparatively more vulnerable situation. But the rent is much more affordable, and the flat itsself is gorgeous.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
There are plenty of studios in private halls, you don't just have to choose between uni halls and non student housing.

If you don't mind the distance to uni I would look at Alexandra house, their studios are really cheap for what you get and it's on the outskirts of the city centre which I'd say balances out the distance problem.

edit: also bear in mind that your costs will go way up in a private studio due to your utilities, you will quite easily be paying £100+ per month extra from this. You'll also need to get a council tax waiver (from the uni I think).
(edited 6 years ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending