The Student Room Group

Gov pledge £44 m to secure the UK border

The UK have pledge to spend £44.5m on increasing Channel border security. The money will go on things like fencing, CCTV and infrared detection technology. This come ahead of the French President Emmanuel Macron visit to the UK.

Along with this, the UK are expected to welcome more migrants from Calais, especially unaccompanied children.

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Is it a good idea to spend this much? Could the money be better spend elsewhere?

Scroll to see replies

Dont think they have much choice. If they dont, then France will just let them have free passage. In our interests to control the border on that side of the channel.
Original post by Danny Dorito
The UK have pledge to spend £44.5m on increasing Channel border security. The money will go on things like fencing, CCTV and infrared detection technology. This come ahead of the French President Emmanuel Macron visit to the UK.

Along with this, the UK are expected to welcome more migrants from Calais, especially unaccompanied children.

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Is it a good idea to spend this much? Could the money be better spend elsewhere?

Couldn’t care less 44 million is peanuts to the government and it keeps the boarder in Calais making things easier for us
That doesn't really sound like a lot.
Reply 4
Cheap *******s.
Reply 5
I'm still curious what sort of fence/camera they're buying which costs £44.5mn...
Have they awarded the contract to Carillion?
Reply 7
best thing would be for France to stop letting them all come to Calis in the first place
So let me get this straight May has just agreed to give the French a heap of cash to help with something that is their responsibility and promised to take a few hundred "child" migrants? How is this a win again?:confused::K:
Original post by LotusFlowerm
So let me get this straight May has just agreed to give the French a heap of cash to help with something that is their responsibility and promised to take a few hundred "child" migrants? How is this a win again?:confused::K:

What do you mean responsibility?

The responsibility of the French President is get rid of people who shouldn't be in France. It matters not to him whether he sends them to Damascus or Dover. We are paying £44 million not to send them this way.
Original post by nulli tertius
What do you mean responsibility?

The responsibility of the French President is get rid of people who shouldn't be in France. It matters not to him whether he sends them to Damascus or Dover. We are paying £44 million not to send them this way.

I agree but they have not been holding up their end of the agreement. This is for security within the territory of France that the UK taxpayer is paying for. Surly it is the responsibility of the government of France to protect its own ports in order for there to be a safe transport of goods and people?

This would be a different story or should I say a none story if the French government had the backbone to actually enforce immigration law and arrest and deport these illegal immigrants. If the French enforced the law there would be no need for the UK to pay for security at the port.
Government is too busy dealing with something that is already sorted out, France should already be securing the border and the port of Calais. We should not be paying France nothing but if it really is necessary than OK give them the money, however don't let this distract you away from the shambles of the government in doing nothing when Carillon collapsed.

Thousands of people's jobs are on the line, school dinner laddies are receiving no pay, construction workers who were building hospitals and railways are being payed nothing and millions of £ in contracts the government gave out are worthless now and they are letting this happen.
Original post by LotusFlowerm
I agree but they have not been holding up their end of the agreement. This is for security within the territory of France that the UK taxpayer is paying for. Surly it is the responsibility of the government of France to protect its own ports in order for there to be a safe transport of goods and people?

This would be a different story or should I say a none story if the French government had the backbone to actually enforce immigration law and arrest and deport these illegal immigrants. If the French enforced the law there would be no need for the UK to pay for security at the port.

They owe us no duty to enforce their laws.
Original post by nulli tertius
They owe us no duty to enforce their laws.

Yes, I agree this is their problem.
Original post by So-Sarah
best thing would be for France to stop letting them all come to Calis in the first place

Do you mean like we don't permit any illegal immigrants into our country? You seem to forget how easy it is to travel across borders if you have the means, money or ingenuity. Most of the time you simply walk a few hundred yards to the right or left of a border post and cross. It isn't rocket science.

I know the map has lines that show where one country starts and another ends, but those lines do not equate to huge walls on the ground.

Here, for example is the high security border between the US and Canada. If you are wondering, it is that low wire fence in the foreground.

https://goo.gl/maps/H36bATJ4tD22
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Do you mean like we don't permit any illegal immigrants into our country? You seem to forget how easy it is to travel across borders if you have the means, money or ingenuity. Most of the time you simply walk a few hundred yards to the right or left of a border post and cross. It isn't rocket science.

Trump has the right idea here, ie. build a wall! (or fence)

easier to do in Europe due to generally shorter borders
Original post by So-Sarah
Trump has the right idea here, ie. build a wall! (or fence)

easier to do in Europe due to generally shorter borders

Do you honestly believe that a wall will stop immigration? I think not. But it is a nice simple wall that simple minded folks can understand and will make very wealthy the friends of Trump who are awarded the contract to build it. But stop immigration? Nah. No chance.
Original post by ByEeek
Do you honestly believe that a wall will stop immigration? I think not. But it is a nice simple wall that simple minded folks can understand and will make very wealthy the friends of Trump who are awarded the contract to build it. But stop immigration? Nah. No chance.

A wall is meant to prevent illegal immigration, not immigration altogether.
Reply 18
Original post by Jebedee
A wall is meant to prevent illegal immigration, not immigration altogether.

A wall is nothing but a publicity stunt, it prevents absolutely nothing.
Reply 19
Original post by RivalPlayer
So the UK is going to take in more unaccompanied children?
I have a feeling they won't be the type of children who like to watch CBeebies.

No, they've probably been watching their relatives and friends cut to pieces by shells and terrorists.

Quick Reply

Latest