katerose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi, I don't suppose somebody more in the know here could explain the main differences between a biochemistry degree and a chemistry with medicinal chemistry degree (a la Newcastle) other than obviously there's more straight chemistry with the latter? I can't work out the difference, especially in terms of a potential research career!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Vastly, vastly different. Medicinal chemistry will focus on the synthetic organic part of a chemistry degree, although effectively this will only really occur towards the end of the degree (mostly you will be doing the same courses as other chem students). Biochemistry is more concerned with looking at the body's metabolism, enzyme function and the molecular basis for disease - very different to chemistry.
buttons45
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can do biological chemistry/ chemical biology degress which are both chemistry and biochemistry if you like that kind of area
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads